CLOSED: Locked out of admin account

wilholt

CLOSED: Locked out of admin account

Postby wilholt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 pm

I have had this happena couple of times now, and I think I have narrowed down why.

If I reboot my server after installing multicraft (ie daemon is running) the server will not allow me to log back in, saying that I am locked out of root account. The same thing happens if the server loses power while the multicraft daemon is running

I have tried system recovery, but cannot log in as any user including root, and cannot get into recovery mode. The only available option I have found so far is a complete reinstall on a second hdd, then mount the previous (locked) one and copy the files over so I dont lose my data.
If I remember to log into multicraft and stop all servers and daemons then the server reboots fine.

Now I dont know enough about linux or amahi or multicraft to be able to say this is what is happening with certainty, but it certainly looks like it.

Anyway, I am off to reinstall yet again.

wilholt

Re: Locked out of admin account

Postby wilholt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:59 pm

actually... i may be way off - just plugged the second hard drive in and missed the queue to reinstall and it booted fine. unplugged it and it went back to the login failure, so maybe its got to do with mounting hdd's?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Likely that is the issue.

BTW, if you need assistance it would be best if you waited for a response before trying other things. Otherwise we are wasting time trying to diagnose a moving target. Reinstalling does not solve the problem.

If this is resolved, please let us know so we can close it out.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wilholt

Postby wilholt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 pm

right -
so in this instance at least it was because adding a disk to the amahi server using disk wizard added a line to /etc/fstab. Using the umount command (as disk wizard has no visible way to remove a disk) did not (of course) remove the entry from fstab.

I had to boot with that disk still attached, edit fstab, then shutdown, remove teh disk and that worked.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Ok, glad to hear it's sorted out.

Will close this one.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2