rebulid fails on change of IP address

rgmhtt

rebulid fails on change of IP address

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Long ago and far away.... :)

I had hacked the previous version to run on a specific IP address: 208.83.67.178. Things were working, but AMAHI was not all I wanted and I had other fish to fry, so I just used my AMAHI server for backups..

Spin forword to last month:

AMAHI comes out with PDC support!!!
I get a new firewall!!!!
My AMAHI server dies (system board failure)... :(

So I pull the drive, copy all the data over to another system, then set about rebuilding with the new AMAHI on FC10 (I had to put in a new system board). With my new firewall, I can set up yet another subnet and decide on 192.168.128.0/28

So I go through the install. During the install the system was running off the firewall DHCP server at 192.168.128.5 with no problem. After running "hda-install XXXXXXXXX" everything is switched over to the 208 addr. :(

What do I do to get this system to be add, say addr 192.168.128.2 with dealing out DHCP leases from 192.168.128.8-14?

Has controlling IP address been upgraded from long ago? I don't have my notes on how I changed addresses so long ago. Of course I can search here for my old posts on the subject.

Meanwhile I will move the system to the VLAN for the old address and at least run the yum update.

Oh that was another thing that got me a 'little' worried. Here I was with a NEW install of FC10, with no updates. AMAHI is busy installing all of its tools, some of which may need newer rpms? Does the AMAHI install:

updated what is needed?
Just installs the additional modules which will fail as they may require updated rpms?
Fail to install properly if a module is needed updating?

Shouldn't the install process first run 'yum update', and THEN install AMAHI?

And I want to build a 2nd system to work as a mail server? Do I have to do a 2nd registration so it will go to its IP addr (and this will NOT be a NATed address, being a mail server).

For the server I am building for my son, that is no problem; I will create an account for him.

cpg
Administrator

Re: rebulid fails on change of IP address

Postby cpg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 pm

you need to create a new profile in amahi.org specific for each HDA that you run.
delete the old one(s) first.

make sure the configuration in amahi.org matches the network and gateway you have.

this is by far the #1 issue most people face when their install does not work as expected.

we find that the more experienced the user, the more often this fails. consider yourself flattered, but still please follow the directions :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I missed the text where it says that if you are rebuilding and moving the server to delete the old profile. ;)

Oh well.

Will this reset the addresses, or what steps do I need to take to get the addressing I want this time around? Other than a fresh install of fc10 that takes about all day!

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:57 pm

OK. I deleted the system defs and created a new one.

I now have a new install code. Do I simply run hda-install again with this new value?

And I will have to get into the database and make changes like the mask, as I am allocating only a /28 for my AMAHI network.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:30 pm

OK. I poked around and found out that you just run hda-install with the -f option and your new auth code.

Now I have to go back into the old postings to see how to fix the netmask. Was that one of the patches to a script or was it in the database...

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:30 pm

I missed the text where it says that if you are rebuilding and moving the server to delete the old profile. ;)
ok, touché :)

maybe we should automatically delete profiles when we don't see updates from a machine for a long time. i wonder if that would work. this area is interesting. we allowed users to create multiple hda's and then it got abused.
Do I simply run hda-install again with this new value?
yeah, just hda-install with the new code.

about the wider netmask, i am not sure a /28 network is supported (sorry). just /24, but it should work (i think).

you can try to go into the DB and change it. then if it doesn't do it properly file a bug indicating which subsystem did not get it automatically and we will support this. that would help a lot in supporting this.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bsk

Postby bsk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:32 pm

To use the new install code, you can possibly do:

Code: Select all

hda-install -n CODE
to reconfigure the network. Im not sure this will work right now as I know -f (force) is broken, not sure if the others are.

I would wait for cpg to respond to this post again for better info. But realistically, it looks as if the command above should do the trick, but please don't take my word for it lol.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm

ok, touché :)

maybe we should automatically delete profiles when we don't see updates from a machine for a long time. i wonder if that would work. this area is interesting. we allowed users to create multiple hda's and then it got abused.
Might be wise. Otherwise you just collect systems where people tried it then dropped it.
Do I simply run hda-install again with this new value?
yeah, just hda-install with the new code.

about the wider netmask, i am not sure a /28 network is supported (sorry). just /24, but it should work (i think).

It requested I use the -f option and that seemed to work.

And /28 is a SMALLer (14 addresses in the subnet), not wider. :)

I served my time on the CIDR workgroup back in the days....

And I did this mod once before, so I have to look up in old messages here how I did it.
you can try to go into the DB and change it. then if it doesn't do it properly file a bug indicating which subsystem did not get it automatically and we will support this. that would help a lot in supporting this.
Well I hope to get to it tonight still, so I can start on building my son's server. He is coming here for the weekend, and I kind of promised him a server...