More Newbie Questions

Camperdownfamily

More Newbie Questions

Postby Camperdownfamily » Tue May 31, 2016 4:50 pm

I've got some more newbie questions I'm afraid:

1. After searching on Google to find out how to change the DNS addresses on my router to point to my new Amahi server, I have discovered that my ISP (British Telecom or BT) has fixed the DNS servers in firmware "for security reasons" and they cannot be changed. I may replace my router in the longer term to fix the problem, but in the short term, how to I access hda.amahi.org? I have downloaded Serviio and Greyhole Logmon, but clicking on them on the server console just throws me into the Amahi.org website and tells me there has been a problem. Is there an IP address or some other way to point them to the Amahi server?

2. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a convert from Windows Home Server. In WHS I had a folder called Users, and then all the members of the family had their own personal sub folders. I set the permissions up so that each of the children only had access to their own sub folders, but my wife and I had permissions at the Users folder level, so we could access any of the children's folders, or each other's. It also meant I could easily map the children's folders to the H drive on their logins, but I would map the Users folder to H drive letter on my wife and my logins to save having to map each user's folder individually. Is there an equivalent way I could structure the folders on Amahi, or do I have to create individual folders and map them each separately?

Thank you

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: More Newbie Questions

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Is there an IP address or some other way to point them to the Amahi server?
Apps won't work with the IP address. You could try the guidance in the Apple Airport Express wiki article. It basically has you setting your router to manage a single IP address which would be assigned to your HDA. Then let the HDA do the rest of the network, DHCP and DNS.
Is there an equivalent way I could structure the folders on Amahi, or do I have to create individual folders and map them each separately?
Make a separate share for each folder. You can then control who has access providing they have users in the HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

The Airport router wiki solution didn't work, because I can switch off the DHCP server on my router, it's the DNS I can't change or switch off. I have tried both switching off the DHCP server and also enabling it but limiting it's address range to the one IP address for my Amahi server, but without being able to switch off the DNS I still can't access the ghlog.amahi.net for example. If I reset my router, so my Amahi server becomes the only DNS on the network, I can access ghlog.amahi.net, but as soon as my router completes the reset process, it takes over and I can't get to ghlog.amahi.net again.

Any further ideas?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:38 am

The guidance I provided should work.

You don't need to turn off the router DNS, just ensure the HDA is the only machine using it. Then enable DHCP and DNS on the HDA to server your network.

I am confident it will work. May there is a step you missed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2