Switching out Platforms and Installation

dagunnyeyes

Switching out Platforms and Installation

Postby dagunnyeyes » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:02 am

I setup Amahi 8 on a Dell 2950 server and tested out what I needed to evaluate. Now that I have a new machine I want to use as a permanent server, my plan is to take the 2950 offline, make the new machine the same hostname as the 2950 with the same IP address. I'm using DHCP/DNS off my router and assigned a reserved IP address to the 2950. I will replace the MAC address with the one from the new machine and keep that same reserved IP.

Can I do a total reinstall on new drives using the original code when I registered or do I have to get a new code?

I have no apps installed other than htpcmanager.

There is nothing on the 2950 that I want to retain.

Any precautions I should be aware of?
Thx!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Switching out Platforms and Installation

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Should work fine with the current code as long as the original machine is offline.

You could take the drive from the old machine and put it in the new one. With a few minor tweaks, be up and running without doing a new install.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dagunnyeyes

Re: Switching out Platforms and Installation

Postby dagunnyeyes » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks - I am moving to a much quieter, short-depth Supermicro server with a lot more storage. I've used Acronis to successfully reimage machines installing from like and unlike platforms but in this case I want all new hardware, especially with 6 and 8TB drives available. I was going to build from scratch on either Fedora, RedHat, or SUSE but saw the Amahi and thought I'd give it a shot. All has to fit in a small APC office rack and must be quiet enough to hear the TV and music.