New 7.1 installation wants to delete Dell diagnostic partition

marcerickson

New 7.1 installation wants to delete Dell diagnostic partition

Postby marcerickson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi - am currently running Amahi 6 on Ubuntu 12.04 and want to install Amahi 7.1 with Fedora 19 on my Dell PowerEdge 1800 server using an express install disc. Custom partitioning wants to delete the Dell Utility diagnostic partition which is a primary FAT 16 partition of about 40 MB. I can't see any way to prevent this from happening if I continue the installation and I want to preserve this partition.

Help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: New 7.1 installation wants to delete Dell diagnostic partition

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:36 am

That is correct.

The http://docs.amahi.org has a warning about this sort of thing.

The only potential work around is to install Amahi 7 Full DVD.

That may not work either though.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

marcerickson

Postby marcerickson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 am

Well then - that's a fail. One should be able to configure all partitions as desired during an OS install. This isn't 1995 - or a workstation or a client.

Amahi is SERVER software and should be thought of that way. The limitation may be caused by Fedora's Express Install disc but that doesn't matter. Amahi 7 should not have been released with this limitation.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:30 am

You can use the Full DVD. That is the punchline.

While this may well be your opinion, Amahi is not backed by a multinational, publicly traded company, with a massive investment and large full-time staff behind them. Amahi is backed by a dedicated community and source code from others, which we put together with limited time and manpower.

Here is the source code for Amahi's installer. You are welcome to fork it and send us a patch that adds the feature you are interested in.

I will tell you why it's not a fail, besides what I said above. We (not Fedora) build up the Express Disc so that the installation is as fast and painless as possible (which is not saying a lot, admittedly, because it still is rather more lengthy than we'd like). The Express Disc does not suit everyone because of space limitations and also design limitations to NOT PROVIDE TOO MANY OPTIONS.

This is why we provide an alternative option for people who have some hardware that the express install does not support. You can use the Full DVD where you can, following the directions scrupulously, do what you want in the installer, using the full DVD experience provided to you by the above-mentioned multinational corporation.

Again, consider joining the community and provide patches, so we can all improve Amahi and provide a better experience for demanding users.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1