Drive setup for new installation

miksnake

Drive setup for new installation

Postby miksnake » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:20 pm

I am getting ready to wipe an old PC and do an install of fedora and amahi.

One thing still concerning me is the drive partitioning setup. Everything I read says to be very careful about how you setup the drive structure, but nothing really gives much actual advice about what to do other than that "be careful" statement.

I would appreciate any and all words of advice or guidance.

I plan to have at least 3 hard drives initially with the hope of adding additional drives as needed down the road. As of right now, I'll have one that's about 400-500 GB and then two additional 1 TB drives.

Should it be as simple as setting up the smaller drive with a single partition and install both Linux and Amahi on that and then format the two 1 TB drives with single partitions for data? Or should I split the smaller drive into two or three partitions (one for Fedora, one for amahi and the third for data)? Should Fedora and amahi each get their own separate partitions? And, am I right in leaving the main data storage drives as just single partition formats? or is it better practice to partition large drives into more smaller partitions?

Also, any opinions on growing through multiple 1 TB drives versus just getting two big 3 TB drives now? It seems multiple smaller ones offer more flexibility and safety of data but does that come at a performance cost? And if so, is it a significant performance cost?

Lastly, I assume that when the time comes to add additional drive(s) whether internal or external, to the Amahi server, that it is a pretty routine task that's easily doable?

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm looking forward to getting started but don't want to screw things up right out of the gate.

Cheers.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wvdlee

Re: Drive setup for new installation

Postby wvdlee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:24 am

Sorry, I cannot help you, but I really agree with you that a bit more guidance during the installation process would be very much appreciated. I ended up with a large /home partition on my system drive. It is however easy to put one or more of your shares under /home instead of /var/hda/files in the dashboard. So now I download torrents and newsgroups to /home/torrents and /home/newsgroups. my two other harddrives are under /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 and drive2 as instructed on the wiki. But there is also a /var/hda/drives ? and on other places the wiki refers to these directories. So it's really confusing.

A wiki cleanup and some good partitioning advice would really be beneficial for many users of amahi.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Agreed we do need to clean up some things and add more content about partitioning. We rely heavily on the community to do this sort of guidance.

Hopefully someone can assist with the task. I will try to add some info but would need to know the specific wiki pages and areas which require work. I don't want to work on the wrong subject area.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wvdlee

Postby wvdlee » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:17 pm

I can scan the wiki for contradictory information, but a general txt with the following advice would help a lot:

1. recommended partitioning of the system disk. how large should /boot /home and / be?
2. Some advice where to mount extra harddisks under /var/hda/files/drives/drive<nr> or /var/hda/drives/drive<nr>
3. Different strategies when using greyhole or not?
4. some advice that using greyhole means that all other apps that put data in the shares should use the /mnt/samba route. THIS IS NOT STANDARD practice as most apps write to /var/hda/files

I have not enough knowledge to write this myself, but I am willing to help review the text and finding the places in the wiki that need modifications