ubuntu/amahi boot failure after security update and 2 years

rocketscove

ubuntu/amahi boot failure after security update and 2 years

Postby rocketscove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 am

Yesterday 1-7-2014, lost web connection. My server was stuck/stalled.

Background>>I installed fedora april 2012 then changed to ubuntu. Installed on samsung n150, full dns/dhcp active (router functions disabled). Ubuntu set to auto update security only. I periodically reboot after update.

Its worked almost continously for nearly 2 years!!!!

Yesterday I disconnected all cables, reset router to factory, re-configured router to obtain web access and keep "mommas' connections going, + desk + android etc.

Today: boot>ubuntu loads to login screen that lists all 4 users (never seen before)>>password returns to same screen (other pswds give invalid notice). NOTE: these users (except me) are not ubuntu users. They are hda users. ?????

boot ubuntu recovery:>>select fsck (for example)>will mount fs r/w>fails with

Code: Select all

mount error: could not resolve address for hda: unknown error mountall: mount /home/dan/SAVE-EMAIL [888] terminated with status 1
SAVE-EMAIL is a partition on desktop pc (ubuntu 12.04). I think I added it to hda for use by other pc's in the house, but don't need it. I do not use greyghost or whatever its called, and am not savvy enough to "raid" or even "samba".

QUESTIONS:
1>>Can I edit fstab to fix? If so, what to edit?
2>>Can I reinstall ubuntu without losing hda config?
3>>What should I do?

I can boot the samsung with 'pmagic' or 'ubuntu' usb drives.
BTW: I left fedora on the orginal seperate partition and can boot into that.
Pmagic disk utility shows drive is fully functional, gparted shows all partitions with no obvious problems.

NOTE: Its cold in LA (lower Alabama) and I can't (aint) going fishing for a few days, so I can work on this. (at least 'til Thur).

Tnanks, dan.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: ubuntu/amahi boot failure after security update and 2 ye

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Today: boot>ubuntu loads to login screen that lists all 4 users (never seen before)>>password returns to same screen (other pswds give invalid notice). NOTE: these users (except me) are not ubuntu users. They are hda users. ?????
HDA users are also Ubuntu users.
1>>Can I edit fstab to fix? If so, what to edit?
Figure out which drive is the problem and comment it out. If its the OS drive, then you may be stuck.
2>>Can I reinstall ubuntu without losing hda config?
Most likely not. Amahi is not uninstallable and reinstalling Ubuntu will probably overwrite some Amahi settings.
3>>What should I do?
Install Amahi 7 and be done with it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rocketscove

Postby rocketscove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks BF. I think I knew I was s@#$%^d....

OH well, its like my neighbor who's a die hard Alabama fan said after the Auburn loss...."I knew it would not last forever".... 2 years aint bad, and Amahi is definately worth rebuilding....!!!!

Thanks again,

dan

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:36 pm

LOL No problem. Yes to get 2 years is good out of the OS. I typically change every year when we release a new version.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rocketscove

Postby rocketscove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Update:>>You (BF) reminded me that the hda users were also ubuntu users.!!!!

I logged in as another user (used their passwd), went SU, deleted original user, added orginal user back, modified permissions (admin, home dir. , etc).

I think I am back!!! Now need to get to April for the full 2 years, and many more!!!

Not sure if I have home dir permissions correct or not, but I can boot it and access dashboard. Now to reconnect to router and figure what ports to forward etc. SHOULD HAVE SAVED ROUTER SETTINGS! (At least remember where saved, I know I saved them!!!)

If anyone has advice>>>BRING IT ON.

thanks dan

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 am

You should not create users manually via command line. Use the Amahi dashboard. Once the Amahi user is created, it will create the login and home directory automatically.

If you create them manually, you risk Amahi and the OS getting out of sync with users.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager