Install was smooth, then trouble

jonathankonrad

Install was smooth, then trouble

Postby jonathankonrad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:14 pm

First, I have to say the install of Amahi 7.1 from the express CD could not have been easier. A few clicks and the server was up. Cool.

I then installed a few apps and the Fusion repos. Still good. I decided to try one of the apps I could not under Fedora 14 and 6.1. Multicraft for Amahi. After I purchased the app, then installed it my HDA stopped working properly.

First, whatever app I clicked on in the home screen would simply take me back to the home screen. Then I had a strange message about could not load or a problem relating to too little memory or low disk space. So I SSH'd into the HDA rebooted.

Now, it appears the server is working (still giving our addresses as a DHCP, still passing on DNS requests and such). However, if I go to HDA or the IP address of the server in a browser (any browser on multiple different machines) it does not load. No login. No web interface at all. Any ideas on how to fix it, or should I reload from scratch again?

jonathankonrad

Re: Install was smooth, then trouble

Postby jonathankonrad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 am

Since I was not too far in, I re-installed from scratch. Now I've run in to a few problems. First, how do I bring back up the Amahi install code window if I accidentally click on the background not the little window? I've had to re-install three times because of that (I know, the fault is mine, just wonder how to get back to the little window if I make that mistake again).

My issue now is something with my network or DNS. After a fresh install and the normal reboot, I went to the HDA, did the initialization and tried to install apps. No apps listed. So I did the Interactive Network Troubleshooting (very cool). First problem was when I ran nslookup, bash said the command was not found. Odd, so I did yum install bind-utils. That finished up and I ran through the wizard. All was good until the client DNS look up. This was the result

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/6612436/

I'm sure the non-authoritative answer should match the first one. Do I have yet another bad install? Should I try again? Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Once the install window disappears you are stuck. Have to start over.

As for problems now, sounds like a bad install. Did you let it reboot twice per the instructions? That could be the issue.

I would recommend reinstall. After watch to see that it reboots twice before doing anything. Might be 5 to 10 minutes after initial reboot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I re-installed twice more. This last one I left run for 40 minutes before I initialized it. The apps are listed, but I hesitate to go forward if I still have a problem. I had to manually install the bind-utils again on the hda and the windows client still shows this when I do an nslookup:

C:\Users\jonathankonrad>nslookup hda.heritage.com
Server: hda.heritage.com
Address: 192.168.28.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hda.heritage.com.heritage.com
Address: 67.215.65.132

Do I care that the second response has a double name and an address that does not match? Is there a script I can run to test out everything else to see if I'm good?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:20 pm

There is an app called HDA Troubleshooting Tools that installs that package and net-tools.

Did you set a FQDN when you installed as you should not have. Where did the second listing come from?

The network troubleshooter in the wiki be the next step. Your FQDN should be hda.heritage.com when you do the check. Anything else spells trouble.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:45 pm

The output is what I see when I look run nslookup on a windows 7 client computer. I do not know if the second response is important. I did not set anything really during the install. Just accepted the defaults.

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 am

So aside from that one bit of strangeness, my output for the Interactive Network Trouble Shooter matches what it should. I installed transmission and it launches from the home screen. Then I tried installing a simple app (phpsysinfo) and I have the same trouble I had on an earlier install. The app installs. The app shows on my home screen. When I click on the app it takes me to "phpsysinfo.heritage.com", but the page is just my hda. So the same page as "hda" or "hda.heritage.com" or 192.168.28.10 my internal IP for my HDA.

DHCP, DNS, Samba, OpenVPN all seem to be working fine. I think I'm close, I would rather fix the issue than do another install. Getting tired of installing from the Express CD. Thanks for any help.

*EDIT
My problem seems very close to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5057&hilit=App+tak ... ome+screen

I went in and checked in /etc/httpd/conf.d and the file for phpsysinfo (1001-phpsysinfo.conf) starts with <VirtualHost *:80> I thought that would point to a different port than 80.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Seems like a DNS issue. The virtual host file you referenced is supposed to be port 80. Most Amahi apps use that port. Those that do not will have a redirect in the file to the correct port.

In the past, some have had to restart their entire network to get things on target. It's best if you only have the HDA and one client going when trying to troubleshoot. If you see the strangeness you did in the past, it's a good indication the client is not getting the correct DHCP lease. Be shutting it all down and starting up again, that often corrects the issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Ouch. Now I cannot connect to the HDA in a web browser at all. It still gives out DHCP numbers. Still works as my only DNS server (all my clients happily surf the web). It reports running to amhai.org and passes the VPN test. I uploaded and downloaded files from the shares. However trying to go to http://hda or http://192.168.28.10 just says no. Not sure what else to do. Rebooting all clients and all network appliances did not help. I checked my router again when I rebooted and it definitely is not acting as a DHCP server or a DNS server. Any other ideas? Perhaps reloading 6 and waiting to upgrade to 7 another few months. I'm at a loss.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Two things here. Check that httpd is running on the HDA. Then check each client to verify that it is receiving DHCP and DNS from the HDA.

Just testing if you can access the internet is not sufficient, we need to ensure each reports DHCP and DNS is from the HDA.

I would not recommend reloading until we can determine why your HDA is not working properly. BTW, did you do OS updates? Not that you should need to do so, but just checking. Sometimes updates cause issues we do not detect.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager