Migrating to a new computer. Can I run the original also?

PatrickDickey

Migrating to a new computer. Can I run the original also?

Postby PatrickDickey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 pm

The subject doesn't exactly describe my situation, but with limited characters, it's the best that I could come up with.

I have two install codes, one for PatrickDickey and one for PatrickDickey2. I only use PatrickDickey, and don't necessarily need/want the second one (but that's not pertinent to this question). I'm going to move my server to a new computer, and reuse the PatrickDickey install code to do it. But, for a short time (probably a couple of days or so), I'll need both servers running--to transfer some of the files over.

My questions are these:

1. Is it possible to change the install code on my current server to the other one that I have registered?
2. Is it possible to boot both servers with the same code (if I change the IP Address for the original server)?
3. If I want to do #2, what do I have to disable to ensure that the original server doesn't try to "phone home", and thus mess up the configuration (since it will have the original install code, but a different IP Address)?

While I could unplug the necessary drive(s) from the old server, and plug them into the new one, I'm trying to avoid that. I'd rather get everything set up on the new server, so I don't have to shut it down and install/remove anything later. That's why I'm hoping it's possible to change the code/account on the original server, and have them both running simultaneously.

So, any suggestions on how to have both running at once, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have a great day.:)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Migrating to a new computer. Can I run the original also

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:36 am

1. Is it possible to change the install code on my current server to the other one that I have registered?
No, cannot be changed without reinstall.
2. Is it possible to boot both servers with the same code (if I change the IP Address for the original server)?
No, each server must have it's own code. You can reuse a code if it will not be used by any other server.
3. If I want to do #2, what do I have to disable to ensure that the original server doesn't try to "phone home", and thus mess up the configuration (since it will have the original install code, but a different IP Address)?
Best thing is to create a new install code for the new machine. Running two HDAs at the same time can be tricky. I believe there is some guidance in the wiki on how to do it, but not sure if it works. What I do is have one running normal and the other I shut off the DHCP server portion, then access it via IP address.

BYW, you should be permitted 2 HDA profiles for your account. If not, please email support. We prefer users have only one account.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wjtatamahi

Postby wjtatamahi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 am

No, each server must have it's own code. You can reuse a code if it will not be used by any other server.
Thank you. After a power outage my HDA won't even post. Gonna rebuild. So I'm assuming any apps I purchased under this code should be available when I get my HDA back together?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:07 am

http://www.amahi.org/faq#if-i-pay-for-a ... -app-again
Recommend you move to Amahi 7 if you are able since it's the latest stable release.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2