[solved] Installation on Ubuntu

dogzrule

[solved] Installation on Ubuntu

Postby dogzrule » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

After a lot of frustration it seems that 12.04.2 LTS is broken as other people have said. Some of the tests I tried were installing just a base server (12.04.2), doing "apt-get update", "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", and that would fail miserably with hash check errors.

I managed to get a totally successful Amahi install on 12.04.1 desktop x64. Then I blew it away and tried again doing everything the same and couldn't get another working install after that. So then I did another fresh install of 12.04.1. Set the mirror source to one pretty close to me. That got me a successful Amahi install so I blew that one one away and repeated and that was successful.

It seems that some mirrors work sometimes and don't work at others, and some mirrors work better, at least when I was doing my last iteration. The "Main" and "US" mirrors were very unreliable for me even with 12.04.1.

Again to be clear when I say the mirror doesn't work I mean you get lots of .deb packages that fail the hash sum check.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: (resolved) Installation on Ubuntu

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Good to hear.

One thing I have tried in the past is run apt-get update before installing Amahi. Do not do the updates, but it refreshes the mirrors. Then try installing Amahi.

I have heard that Ubuntu mirrors sometimes are unreliable. Not what we want to hear. We may have to consider hosting our own mirror for Ubuntu packages one day if this persists.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks! Yea, I have heard always to run "apt-get-clean" and "apt-get update" to clear all the downloaded files and force re-downloads of the package lists.

The US mirror acted like it wasn't even downloading - it would just instantly return. The last good mirror I found was one of the WSU (.edu) ones.

*** Oh, man, if you guys can host stable repositories, those bits would be worth their weight in bit-coins! ;-) ***

How do I upvote your suggestion? ;-)

If it's not too much trouble would you mind deleting the "impossible to install" rant I embarrassed myself with? I can't delete the topic (?) or I would.

The main reason I re-installed was because I migrated to an SSD as a boot volume and I also run VMs from it. Booting is so fast now if I blink I miss it. And it's happily running Amahi.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 am

This is something we will just have to kick around for a while. Hopefully things will improve with the mirrors. We will need to do some additional research.

As for removing your post, I would rather only remove it as a last resort. You should be able to edit it however. Please give that a try and if it does not work, then we can look at removal.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 am

Understood - I wanted to mark the topic tile as resolved and I couldn't for some reason, or couldn't find an option to.

I tried a couple things yesterday. I retested the base server install and adding a desktop with "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" in some VM clones of 12.04.2 It was able to install fine.

So with the mirrors seemingly stable I fired up a VM with a fresh install of 12.04.1 LTS Desktop. Then went to the "Ubuntu Software Center", went to the mirror selection section and used their "find best server" option. I fell asleep while it ran...LOL...it takes a while. When it finished I tried installing Amahi and it went fine. I also blew that VM away and fired up another fresh 12.04.1 clone and replicated a successful install.

Whatever thrash there was with the mirrors seems to have been resolved (for now?). At least in my region...