Installation is now impossible on clean Ubuntu installs

dogzrule

Installation is now impossible on clean Ubuntu installs

Postby dogzrule » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

***Edit***

That guy was being a frustrated jerk and should have stayed calm and attached detailed logs and been professional.

Don't be that guy.

Apparently this was caused by some thrash in the Ubuntu mirrors and the issue can't be replicated here anymore and the OP is going to shut up now. :oops:

Admin - feel free to lock this thread as you see fit..
***End Edit***

I have tried multiple machines on multiple networks.

I have tried 32 bit and 64 bit versions of 12.04 LTS server and desktop with ISOs downloaded yesterday.

Instillation does not.

I don't care what broke it, but something did and I need help reinstalling, please.

I also used a 12.04 LTS CD that I had burned a few months ago with the same results.

Please update when you have an idea what is happening. I tried both the main US mirror and the main Canonical server for repro sources.
Last edited by dogzrule on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Installation is now impossible on clean Ubuntu installs

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Your explanation does not give us any idea how to help you. All things are working well on this end as far as I can tell, so is it possible there is something wrong there?

Did you follow http://docs.amahi.org?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Of course I followed the instructions. This isn't my first HDA. Besides, how hard is run wget and then the Amahi installer script? That's the only two steps there are for Ubuntu once the OS is loaded.

And yes, I did give you enough information to replicate this.

All you have to do is go to Ubuntu, download 12.04lts and install it.

Then run the Amahi installer and it will fail.

I've duplicated this on multiple ISP networks, multiple PCs as well as virtual machines.

The installer fails on 12,04 LTS Desktop and Server, I have reproduced it on 32 bit as well as 64 bit.

The Amahi installer script crashes and does not successfully complete on any box.

Have you even tried to reproduce it? I can reproduce it at will on any machine and any network. Following your instructions.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I am sorry you are having issues. I did not mean to say you did not follow guidance, just checking as not everyone does. Sometimes there in lies the problem.

Not sure if you meant to, but the tone of your reply is unwarranted. I was trying to help and don't deserve a response of this nature. I understand your frustration, but please don't take it out on those of us trying to help.

I did test it and had no issues. I installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit with Amahi and install was flawless. I was able to access the dashboard.

We are all volunteers and dedicate our time to help the community. When users aren't appreciative, it takes away from the intended spirit of Amahi.

Request the next time you please be more sincere with your replies. After all, we need to treat one another with respect.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi,

Yes, we have tried installing and it worked for us two times. We have tried with a 32 bit VM that we use for this purpose in a sort of "cleanroom environment" we use for testing. screenshot at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/364883/Screenshots/5s9q.png

The next issue is why does it fail for the OP. Without actual, factual details, like the logs that the Amahi installer generates both in the current directory and in the /root directory, we cannot investigate further. PERIOD.

That said, we have seen in the last couple of days users, that have in fact posted details, showing checksum mismatch issues when installing Amahi, as part of the download from the Ubuntu mirrors. This could be due to corrupted mirrors, bad downloads, bad hardware, or even man in the middle attacks if one wants to be paranoid.

We are aware of an issue with the installation of Amahi on an Ubuntu Server CD install, however, it's a very specific issue with NetworkManager and a very clear failure signature that has been highlighted here in the forums. That does not seem to be the case here based on the information posted of the version(s) of Ubuntu used.

So, please understand we test Amahi daily and have dozens to hundreds of installs daily as well. If you have taken so much time to test on different ISPs, etc., surely you can take a couple of minutes more to post the actual, relevant details of the logs.

So, without details of the error (and more to the point, with a strong-worded attitude as displayed), we cannot help any more.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

highlan

Postby highlan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 pm

dogzrule,

Hey man, I understand your frustration. But remember, all of these guys are doing this on their own free time. If you're not careful, you are going to alienate yourself and then where will you be? 'Nuf said.

I can confirm what bigfoot65 and cpq have said and done. I've installed amahi successfully on Ubuntu 12.04.2 x64 server and desktop. The only issue I had was with assigning a static IP address in server (see link below for more info).

In the spirit of helping out, here are a few ideas.

Have you tried downloading Ubuntu 12.04.2 again? Maybe the ISO got corrupted during the download, but not to the extent to keeping Ubuntu from installing, just corrupting files that Amahi relies on.

Second, it seems people are having some trouble with 12.04.2 right now - see these posts (one of which was started by me):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4599&p=24330#p24330
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4600
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4568

Therefore, go download 12.04.1 or even 12.04 You can get all the different types (x32, x64, desktop, server, etc) from here:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.1/

Hope this helps.

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 am

Hey guys - first let me thank you for working so hard on your own time and creating such a great product that I have come to depend on over the years. I have always wished for commercial success for this project and have been a huge enthusiast recommending it to others, even today.

Second I sincerely apologize for letting my frustration and lost sleep get the best of me over this. I'm not "that guy" or at least I try hard not to be most of the time.

It's just that it's so repeatable and so blocking that it's hard to imagine it working for anyone...sorry again.

That out of the way, thank everybody for their suggestions. I have a 12.04 CD that I burned months ago and had problems installing using that also.

In my testing the last couple days and nights I have downloaded x64 and x32 versions of both the desktop and server which you pointed out is at 12.04.2.

So I'm very baffled as to why it works in some places and not others. One of the main issues I'm having is that apt is complaining about hash errors on certain files which is why I tried more than one mirror and even the main Canonical server.

At work they have 3 dedicated DS3 lines for internet, so I can download iso's very fast and try all I want, and I got the same results with some VMs at lunch.

The root of it from looking over the logs seems to all be connected to those hash errors in some deb files.

If I can make a suggestion, does the installer have to try to install all those packages in one command line?

Is there a way to have the script install them with --fix-missing? I tried that but didn't know what I was doing.

Also I realize this is more work but can you add a section to let us choose from say 4 main mirrors when we start the script? By that I mean have the script update the apt-get sources so when we get hash errors it's easier to try different mirrors.

Just something for the wish list. Yes one day I will learn to code...
--production HDA : 2.8GHz core-2 duo, Asus P5BV-M mobo, 2GB RAM, Rosewill R901-P case, 2x iStarUSA BPU-340SATA hot-swap bays, Areca 1220 8-drive raid controller, 5 Seagate ST315005N1A1AS 1.5 TB drives

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 am

This is one of the logs. I don't have the others. I'll post a verbose one from the next attempt if that fails. Downloading the old 12.04.1 64-bit desktop and the next try will be with it (I'm running VM's on the box and need a desktop to manage them with).

Welcome to Amahi for Ubuntu!
> This will install Amahi and will ask your password, for admin access
> It creates a log file in /tmp/amahi-repo-setup.6112.log
> Please enter your install code from http://amahi.org for this HDA: XXXXXX
> Disabling apparmor
> Installing the amahi Amahi Ubuntu repo
> Updating the repo
> Installing the Amahi platform (this may take a few minutes)
> Patching the dhcpd PID issue.
> Kicking off the Amahi installer (this may take a few more minutes)
> Verbose log file at '/root/hda-install-130225-225713.log'.
> Retrieving install code ...
> Install code looks good
> Starting MySQL
> Initializing MySQL
> Initializing Storage Pooling ...
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:32:in `initialize': No such file or directory - /usr/share/greyhole/schema-mysql.sql (Errno::ENOENT)
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:32:in `open_uri_original_open'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:32:in `open'
> from /usr/bin/hda-install:291:in `initialize_greyhole'
> from /usr/bin/hda-install:951:in `do_full_install'
> from /usr/bin/hda-install:1524:in `main'
> from /usr/bin/hda-install:1527
> ***************************************************
> ***** Reboot to get started with Amahi *****
--production HDA : 2.8GHz core-2 duo, Asus P5BV-M mobo, 2GB RAM, Rosewill R901-P case, 2x iStarUSA BPU-340SATA hot-swap bays, Areca 1220 8-drive raid controller, 5 Seagate ST315005N1A1AS 1.5 TB drives