Advice on Move to Ubuntu....

iamwally

Advice on Move to Ubuntu....

Postby iamwally » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi all. I am currently running Amahi on Fedora and would love to change over to the new Ubuntu release but not sure of the steps I would need to take to preserve the data on my greyhole drives and such. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Advice on Move to Ubuntu....

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Consult the wiki about migrating Greyhole drives. You basically disconnect them, install Ubuntu and Amahi, then reconnect them and it should rebuild. Of course you need to make the shares on the new install match the current one.

We need to add more guidance to the wiki for this area. If you would like to assist, please let us know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

steven

Postby steven » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm planning to migrate to Ubuntu as well and will try to document the experience for the wiki. Thanks for pointing out the Greyhole migration guide bigfoot65! For those interested, here's the link: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Reconne ... orage_pool

JantarMantar

Postby JantarMantar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 am

I am also mulling a move to Ubuntu, except I don't use greyhole. I have a partition carved out for /var/hda/files on my single disk amahi server. I'll be taking a backup, but are there any gotchas I need to be aware of so I don't wipe out my user content? Should I keep my /var/hda/files partition mounted while installing Amahi? I don't know if it matters, but I am planning to try using Ubuntu server instead of desktop.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 pm

I would recommend you not mount the drive as /var/hda/files until after Amahi is installed. That will ensure you do not lose anything.

Amahi works with Ubuntu server just fine. I am using it myself and other than no desktop access, it works well for me. I don't need to VNC into a server, SSH is sufficient for me.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2