SSD Died on me...

rednus

SSD Died on me...

Postby rednus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:28 am

Last night, I went to rip/import some new music cd's that i bought into hda/xbmc.. i leave the xbmc session always on, but this time I could not get any display, so logged into hda via vnc and checked that there are no other X running, so started an X session from ssh, but the X session was going straight into hda user instead of xbmc user.

So, I thought restart the hda machine will do the trick and did it.. on reboot, fedora wont start, checked the log was getting DRDY ERR and READ UNC, cant find file or directory, errors allover the place.. did some research and figured that it could be my SSD..

Booted on to a USB Ubuntu to find out SMART results.. and as guesses few thousands of bad sectors, unreadable sectors etc.. so it was a sh1t moment..

Luckily the SSD is still under warranty, so I can RMA it and get a replacement.

However, the biggest questions are:
1. I had wordpress, and wiki running on this server, how do i backup that data (if those folders are not affected)
2. I had hda running with few users with permissions, greyhole etc etc config, how can backup hda config
3. What other things i need to look for on this drive if anything can be salvaged
4. suppose if i have salvaged the wordpress and wiki mysql db's also hda config how can I restore them in my new installation
5. the machine has three hdd's for storage, how can I put them back in the new installation without loosing any data

Finally, just in time the Ubuntu HDA seems to be shaping up very well, so how compatible the above files are between fedora and ubuntu.. is it possible at all, at the expense of few nights of geekieness... :)

Thanks for your help in advance..

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: SSD Died on me...

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 am

Sorry to hear your SSD drive died. There are some tweaks which are needed to optimize SSD for Linux. One being use of ext4 file system, otherwise there is no TRIM support. Based on my research, if you don't tweak it for the OS it will pound the drive into submission and die. If you have not done any research, recommend you do so before reinstalling.

As for the questions.
1. I had wordpress, and wiki running on this server, how do i backup that data (if those folders are not affected)
You cannot easily backup a database with a working server. In order to get the data from MySQL, it has to be running. There may be a way to do it, but you will need to do the research.
2. I had hda running with few users with permissions, greyhole etc etc config, how can backup hda config
Not really any way to back up all the settings for Amahi. The Greyhole drives should be fine and when you reinstall and attach those drives, it should rebuild the shares. Best thing to do is image the OS drive once everything is running as you desire. We hope to one day have a better backup mechanism in place, but for now it is pretty much nonexistent.
3. What other things i need to look for on this drive if anything can be salvaged
Other than data files, there is no much you can salvage. You will have to do a new install of Fedora/Ubuntu and all the web apps.
4. suppose if i have salvaged the wordpress and wiki mysql db's also hda config how can I restore them in my new installation
The wordpress and wiki db can be restored, but the hda config may not be restorable. It depends on what you have. If its the production database, there are pieces you might be able to restore. We do not have any guidance on this nor the resources to assist.
5. the machine has three hdd's for storage, how can I put them back in the new installation without loosing any data
Add them back, one at a time once the OS and Amahi is installed. Use the same guidance/process as when you initially installed them, except DO NOT format the drives this time.
Finally, just in time the Ubuntu HDA seems to be shaping up very well, so how compatible the above files are between fedora and ubuntu.. is it possible at all, at the expense of few nights of geekieness... :)
The apps are compatible and most of the settings if you mean the production database. I don't recommend you mess with the production database unless you are an experienced user. If you do something wrong, you could crash your new install.

Hope this helps. I don't mean to discourage you from trying to restore what you had, but you are probably best not messing with the HDA config portion. Messing with the production database is dangerous and could make restoring your system even more painful. The apps should be no problem. Greyhole should rebuild the shares as well, but might want to read the Greyhole website to be sure.

Let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2