After install, should I install updates?

brekse

After install, should I install updates?

Postby brekse » Wed May 13, 2009 1:50 pm

After installation of Amahi, when I log onto the server, using root as described in the manual, I see there is a lot of updates ready.
It is a long list on the right side of the screen.
What do I do? Just leave it alone and you will install the updates I need or shoul I install them?

cpg
Administrator

Re: After install, should I install updates?

Postby cpg » Wed May 13, 2009 3:50 pm

do hda-install first.

the updates are busted in fedora upstream repos and hda-install works around it. you can do updates any later (your choice).
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bsk

Re: After install, should I install updates?

Postby bsk » Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 am

Also, to answer a question I get alot and that I had at one time:

"I know sometimes windows update can do more damage than good, is this the same with linux?"

The answer is no, unless a program you are running is built on a certain version or software version of the OS.

Example: Say the program you use daily has only been tested on Service Pack 2 (windows) and then you upgrade the workstation to Service Pack 3. Its more than likely not going to work cause its not supported.

Same if you update the server. On windows.

So it all depends on that. I update every night, i have it set up that way regardless. But I also dont run programs on it.

If you use it for email, file sharing, and video-music streaming. Then its fine to update it every night.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.