DNS not working on new install

bellamatt

DNS not working on new install

Postby bellamatt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:52 am

My hda died the other day so i have rebuilt one on a new machine, using Fedora 14. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the install - after installing Fedora and restarting, the computer was not able to access the internet using any domain names - it can browse to IP addresses fine.

Network troubleshooter output:
Using the Network Troubleshooter, I failed step 4 - DNS resolving for internal hostnames. Here's a paste to help troubleshoot: http://pastebin.com/wC64irwM

Some other info:
- machines other than the hda seem to be able to browse to http://hda/, and can access internet (using router DHCP/DNS)
- i followed the fedora install procedure, but at one step it says to 'uncheck' the option 'graphical desktop'. it was a radio box rather than a checkbox, so I had to pick one option. Rather than 'minimal' which is probably the right thing, i checked 'web server' - could this mean I now have two DNS servers running and the box is getting very confused?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. No idea how to fix this.
Attachments
networkprobs.log
pastebin didnt seem to work
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

bellamatt

Re: DNS not working on new install

Postby bellamatt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:18 am

I should add, I have tried:
- stopping Amahi DNS / DHCP server (both, and one at a time) - doesnt seem to affect anything
- redirecting router to hda for DNS (192.168.1.50) - means all attached computers lose access to domains, no change on hda itself.
- rebooting a few time

I would reinstall (it is a totally fresh install) but I only have one DVD that is in another computer, and it is a hassle to take it back out and put it in the server again! It seems to be working ok apart from domain names too so no doubt it is fixable without reinstall.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 am

I don't think selecting web server is gonna cause problems. Once Amahi is installed, you should still have the same end result.

Your pastebin has expired, so I cannot see the output.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm

I have been on hols for the last week so not able to do any work on this server. I'm reinstalling fedora to see if that does anything.

For reference the outputs from the troubleshooter were contained in the file attached to the original post.

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:47 am

reinstalled, seems to be working. No idea what the original problem was. I am having a problem installing squeezecenter but will post separately if that persists...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:09 am

Awesome. Squeezebox Server is a big app, so if you do not have good/descent speed connection it could time out.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2