Really Fedora 9 why not 10?

swilson

Really Fedora 9 why not 10?

Postby swilson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:52 pm

So is there any plans on creating a Fedora 10 version?

cpg
Administrator

Re: Really Fedora 9 why not 10?

Postby cpg » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm

hi swilson,

fedora 10 on amahi is working ok, according to several people who have reported so.

we spent our effort in getting to the one-click installer and less on porting to f10 (which is not that different from f9 in terms of features anyway).

planning to jump over to f11, given how close it is and some new/nice goodies, like ext4.

we do need help in testing f11 :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ChrisCal

Postby ChrisCal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am

I'm looking at Amahi to replace an aging install of Ubuntu but I really don't want to have to upgrade the OS again in a month or two (when FC11 is released), is it worth it to go with Amahi now or should I wait?

I don't mind some minor hassles getting it to install on FC10, I've done some searching but haven't seen anything besides this post on FC10 results, can you point me at any specific pitfalls or issues people have reported?

Thanks
Last edited by ChrisCal on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 pm

the only known issue among the dozens of f10 installs of amahi to date is that the first user created (not root) is not created with amahi's UI, so there is no way to use shares with this user, because a samba user does not exist for that user.

the work-around is to delete that user (not root!) and create one via the setup pages in amahi.

we're going to cope with this soon by putting a little warning icon next to the user and hopefully that may work.
then, resetting the password for that user should be enough.

for f11, as we usually do with any new release, we wait a few weeks until the reports on stability and usual zero-day updates and fixes come in.

also, it depends on how many people we have helping developing/testing amahi on the new release. ;)

does that help answer your question(s)?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ChrisCal

Postby ChrisCal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply cpg, just one other question...

As I've only just started here with Amahi have your users gone through "in-place" OS upgrades from say FC8 to FC9? I know these forms of upgrades aren't always successful but worth a try.

Just curious to know if its possible or if its at least been tried in the past so that when FC11 is released it may be an option without having to do a complete reinstall.

I am thinking of building a server with a significantly sized software RAID array and I know that a "nuke and pave" OS reinstall can be tricky with that kind of a setup so I want to try and avoid it if possible.

And thanks for the heads up on the user issue, should be pretty simple to workaround though :)

Thanks again

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:38 pm

a few features are piled up for amahi in f11 that i would say that the "in place" update may not work well.

also, i did a test install the other day in 15 minutes and it looks like there are quite a few changes in f11.

further, the in place update will not really update (i think/expect) the star feature in f11 (in my mind anyway): ext4 file system and it's ability to handle big files more efficiently (say, deleting a 7gb image of a dvd will not stall on-going streams being played from the same file system, as it happens with ext3).

what i do is i put my data in a separate location (in my case /var/hda/files). upgrading the OS is easy. also usually mount my data somewhere else /mnt/data or whatever, on new OS installs, then move it to the proper place i like.
(we plan to support this better in the future).