Cant disable DHCP and Fedora Firefox wont run - linked?

Intranced

Cant disable DHCP and Fedora Firefox wont run - linked?

Postby Intranced » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi all,

After much research I took the plunge with Amahi and like what I read but I would love to get it running....

New to all this and a little bit baffled. I am completely gazumped by two issues and I dont know if they are linked.

I have completed the install and that all went well onto two 16 GB microSDs with the boot and LVM as per the Fedora Install instructions.

Two Issues which I cannot seem to overcome:

1. Cant run Firefox off my HDA Machine
2. Cant disable DHCP on my Router

Once Fedora was up and running I installed the Amahi Server and have the completed message back (Firefox ran at this stage), when I log onto Amahi through my Control Panel I get a successful message and the Green for Status. The Network Gateway and HDA IP Address are right.

1. Thats where all the smooth running stops. I rebooted the server as directed on install completion and now Fedora will not start up Firefox at all to get to the HDA either through the HDA Dashboard shortcut or thorugh the Setup shortcut on the Desktop. Any Ideas???

I cannot access from my laptop and get the following message with the short http://hda/ address:

Code: Select all

You were looking for "hda" but that domain is not on this server. Apache/2.2.9 (Fedora) Server at plus.vern.com Port 80
I guess having read other forum posts that this message is as I seem to be unable to turn off the Router DHCP. I have an Experiabox ARV7519. I am in The Netherlands and this is an router/moden/telephone system provided by the telephone Company.

I have scoured the web and cannot find any instructions on how to disable the DHCP. I have logged into the Router and only option seems to be to change the settings so that the router has no DHCP leases to issue (ie reduce lease range from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.100 or simliar) but would this be the same as disabling the DHCP? Does anyone know what to do with this sort of modem/router or how I can circumnavigate the issue? (I have spare router knocking around which I can place in front of the modem but will this solve the issue?)

I am really keen to get his running as it would appear from the reviews to be a great server setup but I am lost......

Any help appreciated.

BH

radioz

Re: Cant disable DHCP and Fedora Firefox wont run - linked?

Postby radioz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Let's try to sort out one problem at a time.

The first thing to check is to work through the Network Troubleshooter: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Network_troubleshooting

Post any error messages you run into here (and the commands you issued).

ard7110

Postby ard7110 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 am

Glad someone else has this issue - I thought being a noob it was me!

The laptops in the house don't connect to the internet when the HDA (dhcp enabled) is on - I would attempt to alter the laptops but 1 of them is locked out by the works IT.

Intranced

Postby Intranced » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Right, got it sorted.

Followed the network troubleshooter and had to change the IP address of the server from the Command Line. My Amahi.org login was reporting that the server was on the right ip but apparently not. I also changed the accessing computer's WORKGROUP back to workgroup (to match that of the Fedora machine, dont know or care if that matters) from another name I had been using for my home network.

Rebooted everything and I was able to pull up the Amahi Server from the Laptop on both its short name and IP address.

Dont laugh but feels like a big win. ;)