Securing for WAN Access?

fblade1987

Securing for WAN Access?

Postby fblade1987 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 am

Hi I've managed to installed everything all fine however it seems that theres no access control set up for WAN access is there a feature to allow this? i would like to be able to access my server outside of my home with outsetting up a vpn access is this possible? if so how?

Next question how can i set up application links to allow access over wan? as it seems that if i click on maps it tries to load http://maps/ which when i'm outside my house it tries to load it on a local machione and not on the server?

thanks for the help matt

gmw

Re: Securing for WAN Access?

Postby gmw » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 am

Hi I've managed to installed everything all fine however it seems that theres no access control set up for WAN access is there a feature to allow this? i would like to be able to access my server outside of my home with outsetting up a vpn access is this possible? if so how?

Next question how can i set up application links to allow access over wan? as it seems that if i click on maps it tries to load http://maps/ which when i'm outside my house it tries to load it on a local machione and not on the server?

thanks for the help matt
If you REALLY want secure WAN access then VPN is the way to go.

If you want to open your home server to the wide world, then you need to forward port 80 on your router -- which is not secure at this stage of Amahi's development. It is not recommended, but some advanced users have done this.

In the future it will be, but it will require Amahi to integrate a firewall and some more advanced networking control (maybe even integration with the router).

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:03 pm

your apps on the hda will be available if you connect through vpn to it.

VPN is indeed the only safe way to "open" amahi to the internet.

lots of corporations depend on VPN for teleworkers, and security is a major concern there.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 pm

note that weak (htaccess - plaintext!) protection of the dashboard and web apps is supported, but only configuring by hand, not yet automatically:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Passwor ... etup_pages
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

fblade1987

Postby fblade1987 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 am

thanks for all the replies guys, what i meant really was that when i go on the sever from a lan computer it takes me straight to the setup screen, so is that the same for WAN? if so then i think i may have to go .htaccess way thanks :D

Also with VPN i'm not going to have that avaiable everywhere i go so is the best option for me to go down the htaccess route?

also can anyone help me about the web app situation?

rampage355

Postby rampage355 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 am

I was going to do a security audit on my hda server when I get it back up in the next day or two. I don't really want to post the results to the forum though. If anyone is interested in helping let me know.