Newbie install help

peterbayliss81

Newbie install help

Postby peterbayliss81 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:39 am

I am trying to install Amahi for the first time but i am running onto issues with installing fedora.

I managed to get the drives partitioned I add the Amahi repo and start the install. as it is starting the install i get an error

"The file hda-release-1.0-1.noarch.rpm can not be opened. this is due to a missing file, a corrupt package or corrupt media". I then get the option to retry (which never works) or Reboot

I have tried this with 2 different downloads of fedora 14 on 2 DVDs. If I continue the install without adding the Amahi repo, it installs Fedora perfectly.

i am guessing this is a repo issue but i don't know how to get through this.

Thanks

peterbayliss81

Re: Newbie install help

Postby peterbayliss81 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 am

Ok, i found somewhere that this issue may be related to a connection problem. Every time i have tried this, i have been using a static IP. This time, i opted for DHCP. this seemed to get more of a response but now the error was this:-

"Unable to read package metadata from repository. This may be due to a missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your repository has been correctly generated. Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: Amahi. Please verify its path and try again".

As it asked, i checked the path and it was as the guide said "http://f14.amahi.org"

just for giggles, i even tried this with the computer directly connected to the modem. While it was trying to find the repo, the modem was showing activity but it came back with the same error message above.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

peterbayliss81

Postby peterbayliss81 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:57 pm

just tried it with Fedora 12, using the repo "http://f12.amahi.org" still same error, unable to get repomd.xml.

Starting to get tired of this. Amahi definitely is not an "out the box" solution. I understand that it is "free" compared to WHS. But I have built and installed several WHS solutions with no issues.

I was hoping to find an alternative solution to a Microsoft product, but again Linux falls flat on ease of deployment. I hope that one day Linux will advance and become much more. Maybe if all the different Linux groups were to join up and work together they may just achieve something great that could beat Microsoft.

unless someone can give me a simple straight up fix, i will just wait until the next generation of Amahi, or what ever replaces it.

majide84

Postby majide84 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Maybe this thread could help.

http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1234

Or you install your Fedora without Amahi repo and do this.

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Self-install-existing

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:32 pm

I can't come up with the right search terms to find it, but I swear that cpg had a fix for something that was at least similar. Router, or IP address after an initial try, maybe?

I know that I had problems very close to this. Everything was fine but it choked on a download or could not contact a repository. Without changing the media or the environment, it would suddenly just work.

peterbayliss81

Postby peterbayliss81 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks for the help. I did get this fixed.

I found a post where someone that was behind an Untangle server was having the same issues. It turns out there was something in the virus scanner that was blocking the repo. I don't know exactly what it was. i have tried installing and watching the Untangle server but nothing shows up as being blocked or denied.

So now, all up and running, just fighting with Utorrent, but thats a different post there!

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 am

try deluge... It's got some awesome features such as remote access via it's own webUI, has a command line daemon, etc.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

sam9s

Postby sam9s » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for the help. I did get this fixed.

I found a post where someone that was behind an Untangle server was having the same issues. It turns out there was something in the virus scanner that was blocking the repo. I don't know exactly what it was. i have tried installing and watching the Untangle server but nothing shows up as being blocked or denied.

So now, all up and running, just fighting with Utorrent, but thats a different post there!
Hey peterbay, thanks man, even I was running in circles trying to get this resolved. My installation was stuck at same repo issue and i was feeling pretty irritated. Seems the problem for em also was, firewall that was blocking the access to repo. I stopped my firewall and was able to proceed with the installation. thanks again man. you saved the day for me .

Regards
Sammy