Amahi Installation Freezes at 30%

papercup

Re: Amahi Installation Freezes at 30%

Postby papercup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 pm

It works :)

Well, after a bit of messing around. In actual fact, it worked but Greyhole wouldn't run. I wasn't sure if this was me screwing around, or the fact that I didn't disconnect my data drives during the last install, or wipe them. I just left them mounted.

So I started from scratch again, absolute scratch, and followed exactly the same instructions in the post above. Reboot...and it works. But the same Greyhole error. So i go looking for that and find its very simple, its a thing that happens after fresh installs sometimes, and you fix it easily by typing:

/usr/share/greyhole/db_migration-sqlite2mysql.sh

in a root command window. That converts Greyhole from SQL-Lite to proper MySQL. I had been doing this on all previous installs anyway.

I am now happily copying in files like mad, and watching the greyhole log as it does its thing.

So, fixed. If your amahi installer stops at 42% and looking at the log (follow my instructions here, not the troubleshooting guide - remember that the log will have all those numbers after it) its saying 'cannot auto-configure network' then follow the simple instructions in the post above and everything will be fine.

You may have to do this Greyhole SQL thing as well. Personally I'd do it anyway, it says so in the Greyhole guide.

o5net

Postby o5net » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Thank you for your hard work, papercup. I'll definitely be trying your method tomorrow.

o5net

Postby o5net » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

system > administration > network

See eth0 is inactive. Click on EDIT and put in my own settings which i know to be true:

IP: 192.168.168.4
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.168.1

DNS1: 192.168.168.4

Save and activate it. Check i can see a website. Go back into root command prompt window, still sitting like a lemon at 'cannot autoconfigure the network'. CTRL-C to stop it. Then type:
So I type in my IP, subnet, Gateway, and Primary DNS (which I assume is DNS1) under the "statically set IP addresses" section, and then my primary DNS again under the DNS tab in the Network Configuration dialog, save, then activate. Still no network connection. Are you doing any other steps here?

jwharris

Postby jwharris » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 am

It works :)

/usr/share/greyhole/db_migration-sqlite2mysql.sh
This also worked for me.

As to the network issue it looks like the Amahi installer modifies your resolve.conf and your ifcfg-eth0, so if you restart networking during or after it got stuck you will have to go in manually and reconfigure them and restart your network service.

lassenloop

Postby lassenloop » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Save and activate it. Check i can see a website. Go back into root command prompt window, still sitting like a lemon at 'cannot autoconfigure the network'. CTRL-C to stop it. Then type:

service amahi-installer restart

Watch it stop and then start the service, with OK on both. Then type:

hda-install <my-install-code>

Watch it go through the remainder of the install successfully (so it says) and asked to reboot.

(bear in mind this is all in the root command window, the localhost:2000 webpage is still sat at 42% all the way through this, I have just ignored it)

I say yes to reboot......
+1 on the network connection being disabled part way through the install. All of network fields are populated with a single '.'

I am able to re-enable my network. However, when I type service amahi-installer restart, It says "Stopping amahi-installer: [FAILED]"

Any ideas?

lassenloop

Postby lassenloop » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Went to the IRC and got it working. Turns out to be very simple (at least in my case).
[18:28] <bk> Lassen: hi
[18:28] == SolaR__ has changed nick to zz_SolaR__
[18:28] <Lassen> Hi
[18:29] <Lassen> I am having trouble installing Amahi. Are you able/willing to assist me?
[18:31] <bk> yes
[18:31] <bk> what is the problem you are having?
[18:32] <Lassen> I have started with this thread: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2901
[18:32] <Lassen> I am experiencing the same problem. My network connection becomes disabled partway through the install and the install hangs.
[18:32] <Lassen> I am able to restore the connection. But not the install.
[18:32] <bk> what % does the install hang at?
[18:33] <Lassen> Originally it was 30%. But all subsequent attempts it hangs at 48%
[18:33] <bk> how did you install fedora? dvd, cd?
[18:34] <Lassen> DVD.
[18:34] <Lassen> Would a CD install be better for a light weight system?
[18:35] <bk> noooo
[18:35] <bk> cd is not supported
[18:35] <bk> do this for me

[18:35] <bk> rpm -q hdactl hda-platform | fpaste
[18:39] <Lassen> http://fpaste.org/z2D0
Link data:

hdactl-4.1.0-1.x86_64
hda-platform-6.1.0-1.noarch

[18:39] <bk> Lassen: i need you to do this as root
[18:39] <bk> yum clean all
[18:39] <bk> yum -y update hdactl
[18:39] <bk> then reboot
[18:40] <Lassen> It's rebooting
[18:41] <Lassen> It's back up now.

[18:41] <bk> ok now do the same command again and give me the link
[18:48] <Lassen> http://fpaste.org/zzvI/
Link data:

hdactl-4.1.1-1.x86_64
package hda-plaform is not installed

[18:48] <Lassen> Looks to be updated now.
[18:48] <bk> Lassen: ok your good, run the following: hda-install CODE
[18:48] <bk> code being your isntall code
[18:50] <Lassen> In progress
[18:51] <Lassen> reboot?
[18:51] <bk> Lassen: does it say reboot? that it finished?
[18:51] <Lassen> yes
[18:52] <bk> Lassen: then yes, install completed :)
[18:52] <Lassen> Thank you.

papercup

Postby papercup » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:17 pm

service amahi-installer restart

Watch it stop and then start the service, with OK on both. Then type:

hda-install <my-install-code>

Watch it go through the remainder of the install successfully (so it says) and asked to reboot.

(bear in mind this is all in the root command window, the localhost:2000 webpage is still sat at 42% all the way through this, I have just ignored it)

I say yes to reboot......
+1 on the network connection being disabled part way through the install. All of network fields are populated with a single '.'

I am able to re-enable my network. However, when I type service amahi-installer restart, It says "Stopping amahi-installer: [FAILED]"

Any ideas?
Sorry, I thought I had this thread set to email me when someone replies but it didn't and I haven't looked for a few days.

I also had that same 'network fields all had a '.' in them'. I should have mentioned it in my original postings.

Had I seen your replies sooner I'd have suggested following the 'troubleshooting' page which tells you hot 'reset' the Amahi installer so it will run again. My instructions are for 'starting from scratch and its only broken the first time you tried it'.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed. I was quite proud of myself; total Linux noob and had never looked at it until a few weeks ago. I do have 10 years of Windows client/server/networking though, and its not really that different I guess.......

Funny, this all started when I bought a Samsung 2TB drive and found that it totally destroyed my WHS v1, then I googled why, and found that MS have totally screwed WHS V1 by not making it 'Advanced Feature (4K cluster) Drive' compliant. I googled 'windows home server alternatives and here I am. I have WHS v2 sitting here and haven't even bothered installing it, not when I heard they'd removed drive pooling, which was the killer app in V1. My Amahi server has been up for four days now, all shares configured and about 3.5TB copied in and pooled. I leave two command windows open all the time, one with

while [ 1 == 1 ]; do greyhole --view-queue | grep Total; sleep 60; done

in it, and the other running

tail -f /var/log/greyhole.log

and you can watch it working constantly. I find the 'tail' command just hangs after a while and you have to CTRL-C and just 'up arrow' and return to start it again. Once each large folder has been copied in and I've watched it pool and start 'sleeping' I start the next one.

Overall I like Amahi, but my experience shows you do need a bit of savvy....its not for beginners.