Installation error

sc4s2cg

Installation error

Postby sc4s2cg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi,

I'm having troubles installing Fedora 9 on my HP pc (converting it to a temporary server so I can see what we need to do when we buy dedicated hardware). First of all, the dvd never passes the initial test that comes up whenever you start a new installation of Fedora.

I hit continue anyways and it goes passed the repo page and starts the installation, but then about 1/4 way through I get the message:
The file gawk-3.1.5-17.fc9.i386.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to a missing file, a corrupt package, or corrupt media. Please verify your installation source.

If you exit, your system will be left in an inconsistent state that will likely require reinstallation.
Then it gives me the options of "Reboot" or "Eject".

I downloaded it 3 times so far, from different sources (torrent and non). Am I using the right version of Fedora? All three times I used Fedora 9 i386. I noticed the PPC ones are for power pcs (mine is not it) and I figure the "x86 64" one is for 64bit computers (mine is 32).

Thanks a lot,
sc

jfrenc14
Expert

Re: Installation error

Postby jfrenc14 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 pm

What you are using to burn it to a cd? also try doing the slowest burn it will let you, and see if you burning software will let you verify the burn

sc4s2cg

Postby sc4s2cg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:14 pm

What you are using to burn it to a cd? also try doing the slowest burn it will let you, and see if you burning software will let you verify the burn
Hi,

I'm using BurnAware freeware. It's what I used to burn my latest copy of Ubuntu as well.

I'll see if I can burn it slower though.

sc4s2cg

Postby sc4s2cg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Sorry for this bump, but I wanted to complete the thread incase I disappear from the forums.

I managed to get Amahi work, turns out my burner software was the problem. I was using BurnAware on my Vista laptop and while BurnAware worked fine, it somehow managed to mess up all three times I used it. And it wouldn't let me burn to a RW DVD. To fix, I found a program called "ImgBurn" and used its default settings to burn the iso. It actually had the option "verify" which was checked by default, I let it stay checked. Result: installation went by without a hitch. :)

I was successfully able to install Fedora, the Amahi repo, and then login to the root user. I set up my account and found out, after a bit of search, that I needed to login with a user account to update Fedora.

Now I'm just looking for tutorials or something on the like on how I can use Amahi as a server, how do I add pictures, files, etc. that can be opened by anyone given access with a password over the net?

Thank you for this wonderful OS, love it so far. Will keep for sure.

Thanks,
sc