My Amahi 6 Experience (So far & ongoing)

dmserver

My Amahi 6 Experience (So far & ongoing)

Postby dmserver » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:43 am

Hi,
I'm relatively new to Amahi and Fedora and had got my Amahi 5 up and running after playing about a lot and almost breaking it several times learning about it.
My server is a home server and is not critical, it's about me learning more and getting a better set up in the house. If my server is down for a day whilst I adjust it (or try and fix what I have broken) then it's not critical. I can easily switch my router's DHCP back on and get access to the net on my Win 7 desktop PC.
I had just bought a cheap (£25) USB NAS server that I manually moved my backed up data to so my HDA was clean of any valuable info. and I had originally installed F12 to a 320G drive so was keen to install it on a smaller one I found (80G) allowing me to leave the larger drive purely for storage.

So I opted to try a totally clean install of F14 and added Amahi 6 to the repo. To see how I got on now I thought I knew a bit more, and to see how Amahi 6 looked and ran from a relative newbie POV.

I used the Fed14 CD's (1,2,3 & 4) as my DVD's were playing up (for some reason a DVD wasn't booting but a CD would)
For Partitions and Drive layouts I still followed the wiki instructions, although there were a few minor differences with Fed14.
- Once you have created the LVM Partition, instead of clicking 'LVM' you click 'create' again and then you chose a LVM Group (as far as I remember but forgot to note it down). It's relatively obvious as it states there must already be a LVM formatted partition created 1st.
- you then add swap and root and carry on as per the wiki.

Installing F14 was straightforward. I chose the Desktop Environment for Gnome etc and added the F14 repo for amahi http:f14.amahi.org
Swapped CD's as directed and rebooted after installation. All OK

Logged in and ran the Amahi Installer, using my previous install code (no new one needed for Amahi 6) That installed without issue, and seemingly quicker than I remember in Ahmai 5 but that may just be perception.

I've only got to the stage of installing my 1st few apps but will keep noting how I have got on.
I want to get nxserver running on it as I want it to go in the loft eventually and on F12 and A5 I found that much much better that WebVNC as you did not have to be logged in on the HDA to remote into it and the client ran well on Win7, both easily installed. I have just noticed that WebVNC is not listed as an App in A6 so that will be my defo be next task, getting nxserver running.
Work calls so this will carry on when I return.

As an initial opinion of Amahi6 on F14..... Easy to setup, quicker than A5 on F12. A+ so far
Amahi Server
Tyan S3022 : Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
3Ghz DDR2
80Gb OS : 3 x 200Gb Storage : 1.5Tb NAS running Snake OS

dmserver

NXServer Installation

Postby dmserver » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Now I'm back home I'm setting up nxserver for remote access.

Downloaded the 3 files from http://www.nomachine.com
Client, Node & Server

install them (as root)
[root@server Downloads]# rpm -i nxclient-3.4.0-7.i386.rpm
[root@server Downloads]# rpm -i nxnode-3.4.0-16.i386.rpm
[root@server Downloads]# rpm -i nxserver-3.4.0-15.i386.rpm

As with the setup I had in F12 as well as with F14 (no sound card so no audio files) I get an error that a dependancy is missing when I install the 1st file (client)
error: Failed dependencies:
libaudiofile.so.0 is needed by nxclient-3.4.0-7.i386

A quick check to find out what package contains the file
[root@server Downloads]# yum provides */libaudiofile.so.0
tells me it's
1:audiofile-0.2.7-1.fc14.i686 : A library for accessing various audio file
: formats
so that gets installed
[root@server Downloads]# yum -y install audiofile
Running Transaction
Installing : 1:audiofile-0.2.7-1.fc14.i686 1/1

Installed:
audiofile.i686 1:0.2.7-1.fc14

Complete!
and the 3 files can now be installed without error.

The client is already on my PC so a quick check that the settings are correct and then login.

Fairly easy to setup, and the audio file missing is purely down to my configuration.

I find nxserver easy to use, and it doesn't require a logged in account.
My BIOS is already set to ignore missing keyboard & mouse errors, so another step closer to having this ready for the loft.

I know nxserver is not associated with Amahi, but I like it and it works well for me.
Amahi Server
3Ghz DDR2

sag47

Re: My Amahi 6 Experience (So far & ongoing)

Postby sag47 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 am

Why not just use ssh?

dmserver

Re: My Amahi 6 Experience (So far & ongoing)

Postby dmserver » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Got to be honest, I have not read up nor understand ssh yet.
I've only had a linux install for about 2 months so am learning as I go and am still a bit GUI orientated.
I find nxserver very easy with pretty fast responses, I now have this server set up to dual boot to F12 & Amahi 5 or F14 & amahi 6 (for testing & when more apps become available). With a couple of small scripts to change the default boot option in grub so it'll reboot remotely. I could VM it but I like to find out how to do things rather that just get them up and working.
Trial and error has been my friend so far and he has raised my eyebrow a few times (as well as my temper :evil: )

I've been working on Transmission and my NAS recently and now have one of my NAS drives mounted in /var/hda/downloads and then Transmission is set to watch and download to there. That caused me grief with permissions for a while as the NAS is running snake OS and is fairly limited to what permissions you can set on it. So even though it was mounted with open permissions the NAS was restricting it. WinSCP helped me sort permissions out so the transmission daemon had privileges to write there as well. And with a few adjustments to settings.json the transmission remote gui is up and running too

My server has not made it to the loft yet, but it is now running off a separate hub and power, along with the NAS, with no KVM input anymore.
Amahi Server
3Ghz DDR2