install no go

bizzaro

install no go

Postby bizzaro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:39 am

aiight guys and gals, i ran into some challenges.

after more than a week since i found amahi, i still cant successfully boot fedora 9.

@ dev team, im sure amahi works great once it works, so my comments may seem.......argumentative, but the attitude you may or may not sense is directed at fedora, and not amahi

short version. i have so many ata and sata drives lying around that it took a week just to eliminate partitions, move data around, and otherwise make my hardware rdy for install. i state this cz i want you to know that i wrote zeros to all 6 drives i wanted to use. 2 x 40 gb maxtor fireball ata's @ 133 in striped raid for boot and 4 x wd greens 500gb sata II's. there were some...anger inducing moments when i forgot several of the drives were set up as dynamic in windoze, bah..insert chagrin and promises to never do that again >here<

i d/ld'd f9 and f9_64. i heard other users had success wtih _64 and i have the hardware, so i gave it a shot.

f9 sucked my ...... install was retarded to say the least and the only thing that worked as advertised was donwloading the amahi package. mostly my irritation stems from partitioning.
i set the raid in bios. healthy. i know i chose striped for boot. i did it on purpose cz im backing up with this system......rite?

install completes........................cannot have boot sector outside of the disk. blah, in all my nix installs this is the first time i got a partitioning error. that is enuf said when dealing with verified healthy drives.
then i tried with default just for giggles cz default partitioning is not a solution i would want to entertain. hah. i wasted my time. same thing. well smarty pants, you [meaning f9] chose the partitioning so how bout u tell me how you could set it outside the boundaries of the drive?

use gparted to set table. now we are getting somewhere. install completes...reboot, fingers crossed.....vga error. now im cursing cz im in day 2 trying to juggle this project around work and a needy family.

changed monitors, cables, and researched vga errors for f9. no luck, just alot of net know it alls who dont know. now i try _64 install. same thing. ill spare you the play by play

anyway, i thought, maybe its the raid or the use of ata and sata in same box. i know i dont trust windows to use 2 diff hdd's in same environment, so why should *nix perform better? removed raid, and installed to sata . cycle repeats.

so, what to do? booted to live ubuntu. it sees drives, no display issues. installed ubuntu. done. no issues. ripped apart table, reformatted and tried f9 again. now my dvd is in pieces on the ground next to my desk as i type this. yes, ill admit to dramatics here, but i wanted the dvd to know i was upset :P

in the attempt to salvage this project, here is my hardware config.

msi neo2 platinum rev 1.0 with 2007 bios [most recent] nforce 3 mainboard
4 gigs [4*1gb dual channel] corsair ram pc 3200
hard drives itemized above
800w psu that tests perfect on all rails
ati x1600
1 oem dvd rw drive

nothing out of the ordinary. any ideas on how to proceed?

gmw

Re: install no go

Postby gmw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am

My guess is to ask in fedora IRC channel -- you obviously know what you are doing (better than I do)!
Might find the right help there ...

moredruid
Expert

Re: install no go

Postby moredruid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:24 pm

yup, sounds a lot like issues I've run into in the past as well.

My story might be even better tho :mrgreen:

I have RAID disabled in my bios. Even so, Fedora/Sabayon/insert a few others here decide that they should treat the connected drives as 1 volume. There's no option anywhere to turn it off... So uhmm dual booting is out of the question, since Windows is installed on 1 disk and the installers just don't (want to) see it that way. Enter Debian (and derivatives): they just interpret the drives as JBOD, just like I configured them and it works... mystery ensues.

This is definately a Fedora issue, however, you might do a Debian/Ubuntu install, check all the mount points that have been defined, and install Fedora on the existing partitions (it should be able to read & format them)... hoorah we might have a solution, how silly it may be.

other than that I'd recommend the #fedora irc too... you can't be the only one with these problems/frustrations
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD