Multiple OS's

phaedrus351

Multiple OS's

Postby phaedrus351 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Getting ready to nail down a home server instead of running peer to peer. I've done some command line stuff in Osx and Linux, never done more than rudimentary PTP networking. First Q, as I make decisions on hardware etc.

Network noob. As I understand it the 'network' doesn't care about HD format. IE, right now I've 3 OSs running on diff computers and TB HDs farmed across them. I can write and read from OSx to NTFS (W7) but it's s-l-o-w. But if I put the big drives on the Amahi server, then translation happens via Samba on the server, right? Ergo, Mac and Windoze won't care what the HD format is and will read/write them at the speed allowed by the network (GB router/cat5e wires), correct? Instead of whatever staggers my PTP OSX-NTFS? Sorry, I know this is basic but... I usually clone my OSx HD using SuperDuper, will I be able to do that to the server? Will time machine care?

Thanx, John

uslacker

Re: Multiple OS's

Postby uslacker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 pm

You are correct. Samba & the linux OS will "translate" network file commands for the appropriate disk O/S.

I can't speak to cloning. The server, using greyhole, can maintain multiple file copies of files for you automagically.

\\Greg