Beginner Installation Question

ecgreg

Beginner Installation Question

Postby ecgreg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Hello,

I've been looking at Amahi for over a year and finally decided to pull the trigger since one of my NAS units is starting to fail.

I am building a new server based on an Intel atom D510 processor, 2 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive and a case that can hold up to three hard drives.

I'd like to set this up as a RAID 1 array using 2 1 TB hard drives (1 new one and 1 from the NAS that I'm going to reformat). My problem is that my motherboard has only two SATA connections, and I'm not sure if I can set up a RAID array after the initial installation as I need to use one of the SATA connections for the DVD-ROM.

I've looked at alternative installation methods which differ from the "recommended" method. If I use an external DVD that is connected via USB, is that the same as using a USB stick based installer?

Can I set up a RAID array after Fedora is installed?

Thanks for any help! I can't wait to get my Amahi server up and running!

Eoin

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Beginner Installation Question

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:57 am

Hello,

Check out the raid page in the wiki. As for the DVD drive, although it is connected USB, it should still be recognized as a normal drive. I would think install would work fine.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

morewen

Re: Beginner Installation Question

Postby morewen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 am

hi ecgreg,

do you use a board with Realtek RTL8111DL? did it work out of the box with fedora? if not what driver did you use?

king regards
sebastian (who ordered an Intel® D510MO for his first non VMWare Amahi yesterday)