Static IP - Noob Question - Sorry

digimak

Static IP - Noob Question - Sorry

Postby digimak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 am

Found this site today and to be honest I think I have hit the jackpot :mrgreen: . I'm in the process of re-wiring my house, decorating, building an extended chimney breast in enclose my LCD, building a custom wardrobe into my bedroom again with an integrated LCD....trust me I'm busy but i'll get there in the end :D

What I mean by hit the jackpot is...that I have found a solution to all my needs for a Media Server. I've just gone and built an IBM server with Fedora 10 and will be happy to re-build with 9 and Amahi to give me all these goodies.

A question I would like cleared up (which may be stated somewhere obvious, apologies) do I need a static IP address from my ISP for Amahi to work? I currently get my broadband from Sky, who I phoned today, and don't supply static IPs. So I just want to get an definitive answer before I start looking for alternative ISPs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...and if this can be used to full functionality using Dynamic addressing is it difficult to setup?

Again many thanks.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Static IP - Noob Question - Sorry

Postby cpg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Found this site today and to be honest I think I have hit the jackpot :mrgreen: . I'm in the process of re-wiring my house, decorating, building an extended chimney breast in enclose my LCD, building a custom wardrobe into my bedroom again with an integrated LCD....trust me I'm busy but i'll get there in the end :D
hehe. nice! :)
A question I would like cleared up (which may be stated somewhere obvious, apologies) do I need a static IP address from my ISP for Amahi to work? I currently get my broadband from Sky, who I phoned today, and don't supply static IPs. So I just want to get an definitive answer before I start looking for alternative ISPs.
not at all. in fact dyndns is included (free), with no need to set up. with that you can vpn in, etc. etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...and if this can be used to full functionality using Dynamic addressing is it difficult to setup?
after you install, you can go to your control panel in amahi.org. when it says it's "running" (green light), your server has "locked in" a dynamic ip address and you're good to go!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1