Install Amahi on HP Mediasmart server?

rcrh

Re: Install Amahi on HP Mediasmart server?

Postby rcrh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm

gstaver, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I found this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/63253/upgrade- ... ith-amahi/

I used it to successfully install Amahi on my mediasmart server. I'm struggling to get the esata port to work so I can use my port replicated expansion chasis but other than that it's all working great.

Hope this helps.

rcrh

Postby rcrh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:40 am

Here are the links to a two part series.

http://www.howtogeek.com/69192/learn-ho ... ign=020811

Although the second isn't particularly specific to working on a meadiasmart server.

I hope this helps.

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey dude,
the solution should be along the same lines as this, let me know if you get stuck :)
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread and your blog post. I recently got Amahi up and running on an Acer A340 as well. My attempts were not nearly as eloquent as yours and I wish I had found your advice earlier.

I did end up with a stable Amahi install on the A340 and things seem smooth. I'm going to try to add the LED tweak you mention in your post. That would be a nice addition. Thanks for the article.

darknessgp

Postby darknessgp » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

Here are the links to a two part series.

http://www.howtogeek.com/69192/learn-ho ... ign=020811

Although the second isn't particularly specific to working on a meadiasmart server.

I hope this helps.
Can to just say that those two guides are what I followed with my HP MediaSmart, and it's definitely the way to go. Made setup really easy and I'm loving Amahi/Greyhole.

ckny

Postby ckny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:26 pm

I read the how to geek articles and everything looks pretty straightforward. However, while I have a hard drive I can install on, I don't have a desktop. Only laptops. Is it possible to use a usb enclosure and put the hard drive in there, install amahi on it like the guide shows, and then remove that drive and place in the mediasmart as indicated? Or will it not install properly on the usb? I have little experience with Linux other than some Ubuntu testing. Thanks!

erogers15

Postby erogers15 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:55 pm

I read the how to geek articles and everything looks pretty straightforward. However, while I have a hard drive I can install on, I don't have a desktop. Only laptops. Is it possible to use a usb enclosure and put the hard drive in there, install amahi on it like the guide shows, and then remove that drive and place in the mediasmart as indicated? Or will it not install properly on the usb? I have little experience with Linux other than some Ubuntu testing. Thanks!
Thats what I'm working on now.. I'll let you know how it works out!

erogers15

Postby erogers15 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Worked perfect using a 3.5 data enclosure on a laptop.. just remember to disable your internal hard drive or take it out all together!

darknessgp

Postby darknessgp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I followed the guides, but for my hard drive I created a vmware virtual machine and used an external enclosure with my server drive in it. Definitely an easy way to go.

sc4s2cg

Postby sc4s2cg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 am

Just wanted to update this thread since it happens to be the first Google search result. I made a wiki article here that details how I installed Amahi on an HP Mediasmart Server. Works fine for me, no troubles at all.

monkeybacon

Postby monkeybacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I've tried now both the howtogeek install and the wiki install and, when I go and put the drive in the mediaserver, no matter ow long I wait it never shows up in my router. I've tried both on eth1 and eth0 settings. In my computer it boots up no problem on eth0.

Any help?