about to disable DHCP - but then what?

mraroid

about to disable DHCP - but then what?

Postby mraroid » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 am

I just found out how to disable DHCP in my pesky 2Wire modem. I have read what is written below and I see all of that in my modem. But after I disable DHCP, what happen next? I am afraid my network will go down and will not be able to come here and ask for help.

This is what I have read:

The only way to disable the DHCP Feature of your 2wire box is to bridge the 2wire, by then it will totally disable the 2wire's DHCP feature by then you can manually assign the DSL Sticky IP addy assigned to you by AT&T 2wire. to bridge your 2wire box got to 192.168.1.254/management (I assume that you reset your 2wire to its factory state settings) you'll be redirected to 2wire Management Diagnostic Console(MDC),,

goto: configure from the "Broadband Link" section | choose the ATM PVC Search Disable Option | ( under the connection type choose "Direct IP(DHCP or Static) | submit it,, goto "Configure Services" from the Advanced section (bottom left) | Uncheck the "Enable Routing" check box.

This will disable the DHCP on your 2wire box, we're trying to make the 2iwre just a simple dumb modem

So what is the next step after I disable DHCP? My Amahi box can now surf the web (this is before I disable DHCP). Will it still work? I have 4 computers on my network and I want them all to work after I do this.

Thanks!

jack

cpg
Administrator

Re: about to disable DHCP - but then what?

Postby cpg » Mon May 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

After disabling, did things work properly?

We have heard the 2-wire beasts can be hard to deal with.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rkillcrazy

Re: about to disable DHCP - but then what?

Postby rkillcrazy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am

So what is the next step after I disable DHCP? My Amahi box can now surf the web (this is before I disable DHCP). Will it still work? I have 4 computers on my network and I want them all to work after I do this.

Thanks!

jack
In theory, it should still work. Having no experience with those modems, I can't give you a definite "yes" or "no."

If you disable DHCP on your ISP's modem/router, you should still be able to get into your Amahi box. Once in there, you need to verify/turn on DHCP so the Amahi server becomes the DHCP server as well. Assuming you're using Windows PCs, you should be able to reboot the other PCs (or do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE && IPCONFIG /RENEW from the command line of those Windows PCs) and they'll get an IP from the Amahi server.
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400