Failure

chrisclaydon

Failure

Postby chrisclaydon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:29 am

Hi ihave been trying to set up Amahi for 2 weeks or more and i have become very frustrated it seems that to use this product you need to have a good knowledge of linux to set it up the problems i encountered where
1)setting up VNC this seamed to be very hit and mis sometimes i could conect other times i could not this i need so my server can operate headless
2)I wanted to add a usb hard drive to store all my films on so they could be played by other devices on the network
3)I do not want to dissable the dhcp and dns on my router but it seemed to be impossible to turn this of
All I wanted to do is replace my mshome server ,this is used for back ups and media storage and it has a media server running so media can be streamed to other devices,also i run a torrent program on it all of this i control using remote desktop ,this i set up within an afternoon.I had hoped that amahi would be an easily installed and run in a similar way to homeserver
i am now considering going back to windows homeserver this is a shame

if anyone out there could please provide a set of instuctions on how to set up amahi to do the things i require please post a reply to this post

cpg
Administrator

Re: Failure

Postby cpg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 am

this is a rather awful experience. first, 2 weeks is way too long to hold out in seeking help.

amahi should not require much linux expertise at least to get it going. an experienced linux user can then extract much more from it, we'll agree to that.

1)setting up VNC this seamed to be very hit and mis sometimes i could connect other times i could not this i need so my server can operate headless
define hit and miss please!
i have been using vnc on my HDA for ages without any unreliability.

2)I wanted to add a usb hard drive to store all my films on so they could be played by other devices on the network
and? what prevented you from doing that?

fwiw, the adding a new disk page to the wiki has been improved tremendously today. maybe that helps?

we'd still like to know what was the issue. we do NOT like frustrated users. however, we need to see things form your point of view, so please include details.

3)I do not want to disable the dhcp and dns on my router but it seemed to be impossible to turn this of
All I wanted to do is replace my mshome server, this is used for back ups and media storage and it has a media server running so media can be streamed to other devices, also i run a torrent program on it all of this i control using remote desktop, this i set up within an afternoon.I had hoped that amahi would be an easily installed and run in a similar way to homeserver
i am now considering going back to windows homeserver this is a shame
it would seem that this could be at the crux of the issue. see the tradeoffs if you do not want to use amahi as the dns server (or the dhcp server - though the dns is more important). also, if you had two DHCP servers running at the same time, it would explain your ability to connect to the hda coming and going, depending on who was giving your client the DHCP lease!!

if anyone out there could please provide a set of instructions on how to set up amahi to do the things i require please post a reply to this post
i would suggest coming to the irc channel http://talk.amahi.org and asking, with as much technical detail as humanly possible, for help, if the links above do not help.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

chrisclaydon

Postby chrisclaydon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi thanks for the reply
What i mean by hit and miss is smetimes i could conect to my Hda with vnc at other times i coud not ,I am convinced that this has something to do with the dns and dhcp servers on the Hda id did ask on the forums about turning of dns and dhcp and was given a reply but unfortuanatly the required items in the hda control panel were not available so i could not turn them of or even prove they were on although i did run the network trouble shooter to confirm it they were on.
As for the adding a usb disk the problems i found were the disk was mounted ok and visible writable on the linux machine but on the windows machines the disk would be visible but when i tried to access the films on it i got the message "permission denied check with system administrator" but on the linux machine i was not able to set up permissions on the usb drive

i am keen to give it another go but maybee in a vm machine

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:42 am

Then I presume the filesystem on your USB drive is FAT. FAT doesn't support file permissions.
The disk is mounted as root; therefore root will own all the files and you get the permission denied error.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

chrisclaydon

Postby chrisclaydon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 am

thanks for the reply
What should the format be hopefully something windows can see
I still need a way of making sure that dns and dhcp is turned of on the hda,i was a bit dispondant as i have had so many problems but it seams most of my problems have been caused by not being able to turn of the dns and dhcp servers