fedora 10 or 12? which to use?

mapache

fedora 10 or 12? which to use?

Postby mapache » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Good Evening,
I am completely new to Amahi. I installed fedora 10 and amahi version 4.2.1 and it seems to work ok, for the most part. I have installed a few applications, have the DNS feature working, windows machines can see the HDA and the fedora 10 box can see the various windows machines.

I did notice that amahi has a new version which runs on fedora 12, but the amahi help / wiki page indicates that this version on fedora 12 is only in developer stage (as of Nov 2009). Is this still true, or is the amahi on fedora 12 a better option compared to amahi on fedora 10.

I installed SAMBA and attempted to get file sharing to work, however it is not fully functioning and I'm getting discouraged... could use some assistance. I have not been able to store any files on the machine because for some reason I cannot access the shares folders which I created in the Amahi setup and assigned users view/edit permissions.

Even though the windows machines can see the hda shares folders, the windows machines cannot access any of the folders. It asks for username and password. when I try the various usernames and passwords, none of them work.

When navigating the fedora 10 desktop network folders to see the hda, when I attempt to view the hda shares folders, it comes back with an error indicating that the hda is not mounted. This whole process is making me want to look for other NAS / home server options... please help me figure this out... Thanks !

pjcrux

Re: fedora 10 or 12? which to use?

Postby pjcrux » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

I am completely new to Amahi. I installed fedora 10 and amahi version 4.2.1 and it seems to work ok, for the most part. I have installed a few applications, have the DNS feature working, windows machines can see the HDA and the fedora 10 box can see the various windows machines.
Welcome! Looks like it's working well.
I did notice that amahi has a new version which runs on fedora 12, but the amahi help / wiki page indicates that this version on fedora 12 is only in developer stage (as of Nov 2009). Is this still true, or is the amahi on fedora 12 a better option compared to amahi on fedora 10.
Sorry about that we need to update the wiki. Amahi 5.1 currently is the supported version (we're actually looking to release 5.2 soon) running on F12. Amahi 10 is in currently in maintenance mode and no new features are being added to this prior release.
I installed SAMBA and attempted to get file sharing to work, however it is not fully functioning and I'm getting discouraged... could use some assistance. I have not been able to store any files on the machine because for some reason I cannot access the shares folders which I created in the Amahi setup and assigned users view/edit permissions.
What are your issues? you can also sent and email with specifics to support at amahi dot org.
Even though the windows machines can see the hda shares folders, the windows machines cannot access any of the folders. It asks for username and password. when I try the various usernames and passwords, none of them work.
the user names are case specific so if I were to create a user "Peter" it cannot be used as "peter". Also try resetting the password again in the dashboard. I too recently had this issue where I changed the password and samba didn't recognize the first time. When you change the password just make it the same as the old password. The dashboard will accept the change.
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

mapache

Postby mapache » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Good Evening,
Thank you for the reply. I will uninstall fedora 10 and install fedora 12 with amahi and see if that helps any.

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm

you can also get help in the irc chat for when you reinstall if you have any issues.
Community Advocate

mapache

Postby mapache » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Well, I uninstalled Fedora 10 w/Amahi and installed Fedora 12 with Amahi. I've been able to access the internet, see the windows network, view the windows network computers. I've added a few users to Amahi and created a few Shares as well.

On the windows machines I've been able to log into the HDA using a internet browser, add apps, etc. I've been able to open the HDA shares folders using the windows machines by file browser and \\hda\movies This allowed me to log into the folder and copy files to it. I was also able to map the various \\hda\shares folders to the windows 'my computer' window and place files into the mapped folders without problems.

However, I am unable to figure out how to do the same thing with the Amahi / Fedora 12 system. It looks like the shares folders are located on the server deep within the /var directory... similar to a web hosting site that I FTP into to place joomla files for a website. So, I know the files are on the HDA harddrive. How do I go about viewing the HDA shares folders similar to the viewing them on the windows machines? Can I map to the individual shares folders and access them?

Attached is a open office document with a few screen shots of the fedora 12 desktop and folders attempting to view the shares folders on the HDA device.

Should I even be attempting to do this, or should I just be using the windows machines and mapping all the share folders to the windows machines?
Attachments
hda shares unable to view.odt
(345.15 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm

are you trying to run both machines side by side or the F10 machine first then the F12 machine?
Community Advocate

mapache

Postby mapache » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:15 am

Only one machine. I had Fedora 10 on it and Amahi working, but had similar problems. Found out that Fedora 10 is not the most current version, so I uninstalled Fedora 10 on the box and installed Fedora 12 on the box with Amahi. Amahi seems to work with the exception of being able to access the shares folders directly from the Fedora 12 box.... wondering how to do that, why does the Fedora 12 box show mounting errors when trying to view the HDA folders? How do I see the shares folders and the contents?

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

what is the client os?
Community Advocate

mapache

Postby mapache » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:50 pm

The client OS is the Fedora 12 box itself, the one with Amahi installed on it. When going to the Network place, I select HDA, and the error pops up. When I go to network place, select windows network, the HDA device icon is there along with other machines in the network. I select the HDA to view it's folders and the error pops up again. The previous post has a few screen shots. Is it normal?

valdez

Postby valdez » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:04 pm

I am having the same problem. Basically, want to use my Fedora server box to reach my shares in Amahi (same system).
My windows and macs work fine, but not my server....