Adding RAID drives to HDA

Deejens

Adding RAID drives to HDA

Postby Deejens » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 am

Dear people at this nice forum.
I installed my HDA server, containing a brand new Intel DM510MO mainboard, 4Gb memory, a 500 Gb Operating System Disk and... a 6 Tb RAID 5 configuration.

I am totally new in this Linux stuff. But I made it to format the RAID disks and I am able to mount in manually to the system. But I want it to mount automatically.

So when I open the ' Computer' link on the desktop I see 3 things:

1. The Operating System Disk
2. A CD/DVD player
3. 4501 GB Hard Disk: /storage

#3 is not mounted, when I double click I have to fill in a password to mount.

My questions... how do I automount this drive to the system and how do I create it as a automount for var/hda/files

Hope you can help.

I tried some info on the Amahi site about adding a second drive. That did not help. hda-diskmount indicates that there are no available drives to be mounted. Even though my RAID drive is not mounted at that moment. Also manually adding it to fstab did not work cause I have no right to edit this file. Login as root is not possible.

So anyone? That's my final step in completing this amazing server!

Jens

cpg
Administrator

Re: Adding RAID drives to HDA

Postby cpg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:24 pm

i think hda-diskmount is too simple for RAID.

if you can mount it by hand, that is one big step!

nest you edit /etc/fstab (use gedit or nano) and add an entry there.

i gotta go now, but you can see the pattern and also RTFM (sorry :) ) ... man fstab.
you have to be careful with this, it can render your system unbootable.

after you edit, make sure the disk is NOT mounted.

then type mount -a

and it should be. if that works, then the system will do it every time!

fstab is antiquated. should be chucked for something else in model linux.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Deejens

Postby Deejens » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Well, I tried to RTFM... but Linux things are spread across the entire internet.

But I finally found how to do it. Even with 4TB of HDD space.

In Terminal get root rights.

su
enter root password

Then enter:

mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdb
(where /dev/sdb the name of your drive)

Edit in fstab is also done in Terminal with root rights.

gedit /etc/fstab

There you have to enter the mount information.

That is the only problem I still have. I get the drive mounted to /var/hda/files but it only has root write rights so I can't get anything on it.

But I will Read The F Manual... When I know how to do it, I will write it down here. And maybe someone can help. What to I write in the fstab?

This is what I created but won't give me all user read/write/delete access:

/dev/sdb /var/hda/files ext4 defaults 0 0

----

Looks like in Terminal type:

chmod 777 /var/hda/files

did the trick... let ya all know!

Deejens

Postby Deejens » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Well, everything works fine except 1 thing.

When I login as user A and create a directory like /var/hda/files/music/mp3, I am able to copy all kinds of files in this directory. I can delete it the directory, the files.. everything.

But when I login as another user (B) (which I created in Amahi) and look in /var/hda/files/music I am able to see the directory mp3 but there is a lock on the directory. Now I am only able to read the directory but nog delete or change.

I know this has something to do with rights and presumably in /etc/fstab

My drive is /dev/sdb , the mount is /var/hda/files, the filesystem is ext4 and then there goes something wrong so i tried to find some more info like:

I tried the 'adding a second harddrive to your HDA' explanation. But when putting the following line in fstab, the drive will not mount:

/dev/sdb /var/hda/files ext4 rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

The only thing that works is;

dev/sdb /var/hda/files ext4 defaults 0 0

But then I have this directory lock thing. I tried to find some manual about this but.. hey, I am not a computer wizard, and I can't find out what to do.

Anyone?

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 am

you can change the group ownerships of the directories you want to have a little more open.

Code: Select all

chmod ug+rwx /var/hda/files/yourdir/
This makes the directory readable, writeable and executable for all users & group members (the group is probably "users")
add the -R option if you want this changed for <yourdir> and its subdirectories. You can check the permissions with ls -l
It should look like this then:
drwxrwxr-x
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD