Installing Test HDA in a Virtual Machine

fabersa

Installing Test HDA in a Virtual Machine

Postby fabersa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 am

Hello all,

I would like to install Amahi in a Virtual Machine to accomplish a couple things:
1.) Test porting all my data (not too much right now) from my HDA running on F10 to a new install of Amahi on F12 (but on the same HW)
2.) Thinking about beta testing some apps, but don't want to risk screwing up my HDA setup.

My HDA setup: Currently running Amahi on F10 using recommended network settings on 2001 custom-built PC with 768MB of RAM, 40 GB HD for the OS, 160GB HD for var/hda/files (I don't need too much space :D ). Right now it's running beautifully, but I can see the need to update eventually, and I might as well do it now before I have so much data it becomes a chore.

Obviously I probably don't want to use a VM on the HDA machine (not enough memory), but I do have a laptop with 2GB of memory running Windows Vista. It shouldn't be a problem installing F12 on the laptop (I would set up the VM to be as similar to the HW on the HDA machine that I am currently running).

Here's some questions:
1.) Which software should I use to run the virtual machine? I am familiar with VMWare, but I've heard some people have had problems installing Amahi in VMWare.
2.) How do I set up the "Virtual HDA" to not interfere with the actual HDA machine?
3.) Currently, the Control Panel does not allow for more than one instance of Amahi per user (I think that is accurate). Would I have to create a new user account and get a new code from the new user account for my Virtual HDA, or should I just use the control panel in my current user account to get a new code? If I do the last option, will my current HDA machine still work?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid to jump into the terminal and run some commands or edit files, but I'm in no way a Linux guru.

devrieshh

Re: Installing Test HDA in a Virtual Machine

Postby devrieshh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 am

VirtualBox works fine for me, and you can create a second hda profile at the amahi control panel.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Installing Test HDA in a Virtual Machine

Postby cpg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:38 pm

yes. quick note: this was abused by some users in the past, so we restricted things so that you can only add a new profile when you already have a successful install of the first HDA.

(you can also delete your profile - unless your HDA is running - and create a new one)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1