RESOLVED: Question about installing a second HDD

yoyocint

RESOLVED: Question about installing a second HDD

Postby yoyocint » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 am

Regards.

The first HDD on the HDA is ext4 formatted.

After installing my HDA and setting up the files, shares, users, apps , etc I attempted to install a second 2TB HDD to use for backups and larger shares.

However when I attempted the install of the second HDD the hda interface for hda access got stuck and I had to reinstall the os.

The procedure I followed was: 1. shut down the HDA. 2. physically installed the HDD (NTFS now using gparted on ubuntu is formatted to ext4) 3. rebooted HDA.

After this I could no longer access http://hda/ to loggin, neither could access HDA via PUTTY ssh to perform the install as instructed in the guide to add a second hdd.

What should I do different to avoid crashing again?

Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Question about installing a second HDD

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:53 pm

That process should work. Maybe something else went wrong. Recommend you log into the machine vs using SSH. That will ensure if something is wrong you know the problem.

I cannot recall seeing anyone have the issue before in the forums. Might be a hardware compatibility issue or some other unknown cause.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

yoyocint

Postby yoyocint » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Installed the 2nd HDD with no problem.

I guess the issue that hung tbe machine before might have ave been a formatting problem.

Tomorrow I will mount and set the hdd according to the guide. ✌

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Glad to hear it's resolved.

ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

yoyocint

Re: RESOLVED: Question about installing a second HDD

Postby yoyocint » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm

I keep reading the wiki about mounting tbe second drive and I dont understand it.

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... #section_9

I physically installed the 2tb second drive. The drive was already formatted to ext 4.

the wiki starts with "os detect drive", but then it goes to "prerequisites".

then (these I believe I do not need to do) "partitioning and format hard drive", "using gparted", "using cfdisk", "partitioning over 2.1 tb"... and so....

upto " using hda diskmount script" where I only see instructions for ubuntu and none for fedora. Does this mean these commands are not needed in fedora?

almost at the end of the page there is a note tbat the guide is only for ubuntu. is that not current?

In the page titled "amahi 7 create manual grayhole setup", it is stated that the functionality is provided by the grayhole ui.

then I guess my final question is, besides formating to ext4. what do I have to do to use tbe second hard drive on amahi 7.

yoyocint

Postby yoyocint » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 pm

After all this reading. is I get it correctly is the hdd is formatted to ext4 I just pljg it and can use it, unpooled.

If I want it pooled use the ui in the dash board click the drive check mark and set the other options there.?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Not quite. You need to follow adding a second hard drive to your HDA guidance in the wiki. The drive has to be properly mounted in Amahi for it to be used correctly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

yoyocint

Postby yoyocint » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:56 pm

That is the guide I read and almost at the end it says is for ubuntu, not fedora. there is directs the fedora users to "Amahi 7 Create Manual Greyhole Setup"

"NOTE: This guidance is only for Ubuntu. For Fedora 19, please follow the guidance at Amah 7 Greyhole Setup."

at the top of the directed page it says " WARNING
Amahi application Greyhole UI provides this capability. Manual setup recommended for Advanced users ONLY!"

So from What I gather I need to install the disk, have the OS detect the drive and mount the drive in the OS. right?

There is something that seems wrong in the wiki you pointed. Sorry if its not.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm

This area you need to pay attention to is everything up to and including this part: Mount Hard Drive Using hda-diskmount script.

If you are not using Greyhole, don't pay attention to that portion.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

yoyocint

Postby yoyocint » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:21 pm

I see now that the note applies to tbe section down the page titled "grayhole storage pool".

ok, even if the drive is ext4 I need to do the formatting in the prerequisite section before? (i guess not)

So I need to ssh and enter " -1 /dev/disk/by-id/ | egrep -v "part|scsi" so that the OS recognizes the disk and then enter

"hda-diskmount" so that the new disk is mounted?

the do gray hole or raid, I think 1 if decide for it.