SOLVED: Amahi's 'default gateway' changes on reboot

sfgueller

SOLVED: Amahi's 'default gateway' changes on reboot

Postby sfgueller » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 am

I recently updated to Amahi 11 set up on a Fedora 27 VM running in Xenserver 6.5 on an old Dell PE 2950. Everything has been working great except the system randomly reboots, which I now believe is due to a bad battery in my UPS when it does its monthly check.

The problem I am encountering lately is when the system reboots it picks a random default gateway IP and it kills my network. The only thing that I have changed is that I added a TP Link Deco M4 system (running in AP mode, so it only passes DHCP) and to that I added a Netgear WNDR3800 (setup as a switch only with DHCP disabled). I have checked every single network device, and there is no other DHCP server enabled anywhere on this subnet. Could this possibly be a bug in Fedora 27 or Amahi 11? It also changes the DNS alias for http://router (which has always been the same as the default gateway). It does the same thing if I reboot Xenserver manually as well.

For example: My gateway is 192.168.1.1. The system rebooted last night, and the 'router' alias as well as the gateway specified in the control panel under NETWORK > SETTINGS changed to 192.168.1.180. The previous time this happened, I noticed that both changed to 192.168.1.10 (which is the IP assigned to my main Deco unit).

Thanks in advance, any help or information here would be greatly appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi's 'default gateway' changes on reboot

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Sounds like it's something amiss with the Xenserver.
Could this possibly be a bug in Fedora 27 or Amahi 11?
I have run Amahi 11 with Proxmox virtualization and never had any such issues.
It also changes the DNS alias for http://router (which has always been the same as the default gateway).
The router DNS alias is related to the Gateway.
Hard to say what's causing the issue, but it's likely something is not passing through to the VM correctly. I would expect it's a network setting that Xenserver provides to the VMs.

Ensure your HDA profile on amahi.org matches your network configuration. If that is misaligned, it could cause issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sfgueller

Postby sfgueller » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:05 pm

I found the problem. Apparently the TP-Link Deco units have an undocumented so-called 'smart DHCP' feature that begins to issue IP addresses when it can't communicate with the standard DHCP server. So, every time my server reboots, it is issued a random IP and default gateway before Amahi's DHCP server becomes active.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Glad you sorted it out.

Will mark this as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2