DNS Replication

arcfob

DNS Replication

Postby arcfob » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:07 am

I'm looking for a way to setup the DNS in Amahi to sync zones from another DNS server. I run pfSense as my primary DNS server on my network and Amahi as secondary. My pfSense DNS has overrides set for certain host/domains. It would be nice if I could sync those entries over to Amahi.

Here is my problem I run into sometimes. Maybe someone has a novel solution I haven't thought of. If so please feel free to share.

I run lan.(mydomain.something) as my internal domain and mydomain.something for external. Amahi uses the lan. internal subdomain and I have manually set all the necessary alias's within Amahi and pfSense. Within pfSense I have overrides so that if I hit the external domain name for something on my local network it will resolve to the local IP address. My problem is that Amahi at least from the WebGUI will only let me set an alias for the lan. subdomain. So if a device resolves with Amahi it will sometimes resolve the public and not local IP and if I have not yet set an external DNS record then it doesn't resolve.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

arcfob

Re: DNS Replication

Postby arcfob » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm

No takers lol?

I didn't figure it would be that hard since I believe both pfSense and Amahi are using BIND. I know how to make this work with Windows DNS, but I'm not familiar with configuring BIND.

arcfob

Postby arcfob » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:50 am

Still no takers.....

If I wanted to experiment with this myself. What file(s) do I need to look at modifying in Amahi? Are there any gotchas I need to be careful of?

Any other forum post or KB articles anyone can suggest on customizing the Amahi DNS? Even if someone can't answer the question directly. Any kind of guidance or suggestion that sends me down the path of better understanding BIND and how it is implemented in Amahi is appreciated.

Thanks.

arcfob

Postby arcfob » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:00 am

Another solution I just thought of. If I could even just modify the Amahi DNS to specify that a certain DNS server is authoritative for a certain domain. I think that would be sufficient enough to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Thanks.