CLOSED: HDA DHCP server not working after power failure

amielgoldberg

CLOSED: HDA DHCP server not working after power failure

Postby amielgoldberg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am

We recently experienced a power failure that brought down our network (router and HDA) unexpectantly. Since the power failure the DHCP server is not working properly; it doesn’t assign IP addresses to the devices on the network. I’ve verified that the setting on the HDA network page are correct. Also, I’ve cycled the settings and the rebooted the HDA several times; the DHCP server still does not assign addresses. The router has been rebooted several times, as have all the devices on the network. The HDA DHCP appears to be ignoring all requests for an address. Is there a way to "reset" the DHCP server on the HDA? I've checked the various forums and have not found any obvious solutions.

Other relevant information: the router’s DHCP is presently assigning addresses; the HDA can see and ping the internet and the rest of the network. I appreciate any troubleshooting advice and counsel you can offer.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: HDA DHCP server not working after power failure

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:24 pm

You might check out the dnsmasq troubleshooting guidance. The wiki can be quite helpful for common problems.

With a power outage, a hard shutdown can damage the file system. You may need to reinstall at some point if other issues develop.

What version of Amahi is this machine?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Tue May 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm run Fedora 25 with Amahi 10. Reinstall would be very difficult as I have a significant amount of data stored on shared drives in Greyhole. Is there a way to reinstall and not lose all my data in Greyhole?

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pm

One other thing I noticed: the NFS server and DNS service have stopped and won't restart.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 am

Is there a way to reinstall and not lose all my data in Greyhole?
Yes. There is guidance in the wiki. See Moving Data Out of Greyhole and Reconnect Greyhole Storage Pool.

If you want to try and fix this versus reinstall, then will need to see some logs.

Seems as if there are multiple issues if others services are stopped and cannot be restarted.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm

I'd like to try and fix this. I have too much data stored on those drives to reinstall. What logs do you need?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 am

Take a look at /var/log/boot.log.

Also are OS updates current:

Code: Select all

sudo dnf update
Keep in mind you may not have a choice but to reinstall. When a machine is hard shut down due to a power outage, it can damage the drive and/or file system. Once that occurs, there's no way to fix it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 am

I have the log; where / how should I upload it to you. Also, I'm unable to synchronize the update cache, so I believe that the OS is likely not up to date. Thoughts on how to resolve that?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am

Try:

sudo dnf clean all

sudo dnf update
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm

After doing some research and poking around, it looks like the dhcpd service's files were corrupted. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but the conf file is empty. Is there an automated way to recreate it? If not, can you send a sample I can use to build a proper one? Thank you for all your aid.