Amahi and Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition

rm35583

Amahi and Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition

Postby rm35583 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm hoping you can help me. Seeking some direction and advice on installing a Sophos (linux based) XG Firewall Home Edition box on my home network. This is software-based firewall for our home network. Amahi up and running for 6+ months now and I would like to add the firewall as a standalone option for additional network protection.

I would be grateful for any comments and direction on how to configure / connect the Sophos box to my Amahai server. Or, if such connections are necessary. The Sophos box will be connected directly to the Modem / Router. Thanks for your usual cooperation and assistance. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Scott

bt107

Re: Amahi and Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition

Postby bt107 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 am

I have a similar setup except I use Untangle instead of Sophos. I have the Untangle box connected to the modem and the Amahi box (and all other clients) connected via switch and wireless access point behind the Untangle box. You will need to have two NICs (or a dual) in your Sophos box. One for the WAN and one for the LAN. I have DHCP turned off on Amahi but I leave DNS on. On Untangle I have set the Amahi machine as the first DNS server with OpenDNS as the subsequent DNS servers. That way the clients can get DNS lookups from Amahi or if it's not available they can go to OpenDNS. DHCP setup on Untangle (and Sophos too I imagine) is similar to most any other router setup.

The learning curve for these systems is kind of steep simply because they are so much more powerful than typical home router operating systems. I set mine up because I have three teenagers at home and needed control over their internet usage that I couldn't find anywhere else. Mine's been running for about two years now with Amahi and Untangle happily coexisting. Good luck!

rm35583

Re: Amahi and Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition

Postby rm35583 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 am

bt107,

Many thanks for your response and information. I'm plunking away at this and have the Sophos FW box up and running but I have not connected to network yet. I will follow your directions when connecting to home network later today. Thanks again for the support.

Reagrds,

Scott