Gateway difficulty

mernst

Gateway difficulty

Postby mernst » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:21 pm

I have a unique situation. I have a cable modem provided to me by my ISP. I also have my own router which I had already working when I signed up with the ISP. My router is the DHCP and uses 192.168.0.1 and assigns addresses In that range. However it points to a gateway of 192.168.200.1 which is the ISP cable modem. I tried to edit the gateway in hda/tab/settings, but it will not let me change anything other than the 4th entry set. What can I do to make this work?

cpg
Administrator

Re: Gateway difficulty

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Given the disparity in the network ranges, I'm inclined to believe that the router is in between the modem and the rest of your network.

Typically a modem will NOT have firewall, etc. whereas a typical home router will.

In this case, the router IP is your "gateway" address. Basically, all your traffic goes through the router, then on to the modem, so your network's "gateway" is the router.

If that is the case, technically, the modem is the "gateway" for the router.

The "gateway" for a device is the "default" network element to send the traffic when the destination is outside the current network range. I hope that makes sense. This is a very simplified meaning of gateway in a network.

Hence, a gateway device is a device in your network range and it must be reachable. This is why the software does not allow changing anything other than the last byte, because the network supported by Amahi is only X.Y.Z.* for a fixed X/Y/Z.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mernst

Postby mernst » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:33 am

OK, that makes sense. However, I am struggling with how to get DHCP working so I can kill my router. So here is my setup. My TP'LINK Router is 192.168.0.1 (LAN Address) and is currently DHCP. It has a Dynamic IP WAN running and that IP address is 192.168.200.232, which is assigned by the modem. The WAN Gateway is 192.168.200 (which is my modem) and this one also has DHCP enabled. Both the router and modem have Wireless names (SSID) assigned so my laptops, smartphones and Fire Tablets can connect to either but I have them pointed at the router SSID. What is the best approach? Should I remove the router form the system entirely (I think it is redundant)? How does a desktop Amahi Server handle wireless? I am very new to Linux and have much to learn. I am a long time Windows guy.

And BTW, once I get the DHCP functioning properly the ultimate goal is to have a domain with Amahi as the domain controller. I went down this path because Windows 10 has a bug wherein PC's running in a workgroup do not see each other in File Explorer so it is difficult to browse and share files; and Microsoft can't seem to fix it. If you google this you will see lots of people searching for a way to resolve this.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Most modems do not have a firewall at all. However, since yours is in 192.168.*.*, it may have one.

I would probably turn off the WiFi for the modem and just use it to connect to the internet and use your router's LAN interface and WiFi for all your network. You can turn off DHCP on it once you are happy with your Amahi HDA handling DHCP/DNS. Use your router's WiFi -- Amahi handles it OK.

Just DONT TOUCH THE WAN side -- your modem and the WAN side of the router do need DHCP.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mernst

Postby mernst » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:46 pm

So I misspoke. Upon further investigation, the TP-LINK Router is connected to a ZyXEL Router and then to the Fiber Optics Modem. So both the TP-LINK and the ZyXEL are routers and both have a firewall. So I think that is what is causing the difficulties. And I cannot get rid of the ZyXEL because it is the gateway that the FiOS system is talking to. So I need to get rid of the TP-LINK. Agree? I am already heading down that path and it seems like it is going to work the way it is supposed to now.

So once that is resolved how do I turn on DNS and enable the domain controller? In the Wiki it tells me it should be in the HDA Dashboard under network, but that is referring to version 7. I see nothing for version 10 and the DNS is not in the dashboard.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Why do you have to get rid of anything?

Amahi has not kept up with PDC, so I would not expect that to work, because it has not been updated in years.

However, shares and sharing across devices should work.

If you have to change your network, you have to uninstall all apps and then try

Code: Select all

hda-change-gw 192.168.x.y
with the IP of your new gateway. The recommended approach is to reinstall Amahi.

However, you can simply change the new gateway to use the same LAN IP of the previous device (presumably *.*.0.1) and then Amahi should be happy.

mernst

Postby mernst » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 am

I could not make Amahi work as long as there were 2 routers. In addition to the Amahi server I have two desktop Windows 10 PC's. If I let Amahi become DHCP and assign 192.168.0.xxx IP addresses to the Desktops, then they would not connect to the next router which was 192.168.200.1. AN thus they would not connect to the internet.

So I removed the TP-LINK router, and as you suggested I reinstalled Amahi HDA with the 192.168.200.xxx IP series and now everything works great and Amahi is DHCP.

That does not solve my original problem. The two Windows 10 PC's will still not see each other. As long as they are workgroup members they do not see each other with Windows 10. Changing the server to Amahi but still having a DHCP and a workgroup does not make the 2 Windows 10 PC's see each other. So unless I can have a domain I don't know how else to solve this.