Amahi Bug? Custom DNS Settings

bdaz

Amahi Bug? Custom DNS Settings

Postby bdaz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 am

I don't use Amahi as my DHCP server nor my DNS server.
However, lately I have noticed that Amahi appears to have a bug.

Disabling the DHCP server is no problem, and the network functions as expected.

However, disabling the DNS server and then setting the DNS settings to "Custom" always results in the IP address of my HDA being inserted as the IP for the DNS server. This happens via both the admin web site, as well as the older hda-ctl command.

Here's an example:

[user@localhost ~]$ hda-change-dns 192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8
Network settings were successfully applied.
Your HDA services have been restarted.
[user@localhost ~]$ more /etc/resolv.conf
# Automatically generated by hda-ctl on 2018-01-29 10:25:48
search network.local
nameserver 192.168.0.10
nameserver 192.168.0.10

note: 192.168.0.10 is the IP address of my HDA.

So as it stands, I need to manually go in an edit the /etc/resolv.conf after every reboot.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi Bug? Custom DNS Settings

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 am

However, lately I have noticed that Amahi appears to have a bug.
No bug. This is by design. The server will always use itself as a DNS server. Disabling DNS server is only for your clients as used with DHCP.
However, disabling the DNS server and then setting the DNS settings to "Custom" always results in the IP address of my HDA being inserted as the IP for the DNS server. This happens via both the admin web site, as well as the older hda-ctl command.
When you disable the DNS server, don't change anything else (i.e. custom). If it's disabled, the setting does not matter.

If you don't use the HDA for DHCP or DNS, then you might want to consult the FAQ on our web site for what capability you lose.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bdaz

Postby bdaz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 pm

When you disable the DNS server, don't change anything else (i.e. custom). If it's disabled, the setting does not matter.
I'm confused. If I disable DNS, the Amahi server continues to set resolv.con to itself. Given that DNS is turned off, it effectively renders an Amahi server that is incabable of accessing the Internet as there is no DNS service running. This is by design?

If someone were to disable the DNS server, shouldn't they be able to set the Amahi server to use the DNS server that the rest of the LAN uses?

If I update resolv.conf to use a proper DNS server (e.g. 8.8.8.8) the Server works flawlessly, until it overwrites this with its own IP at the next reboot. But of course the local DNS server isn't running so it renders the server useless once again.

In the interim, I'm going to have to write a script to check for this I guess ...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am

If someone were to disable the DNS server, shouldn't they be able to set the Amahi server to use the DNS server that the rest of the LAN uses?
I thought more about what you are trying to do.

There is no need to disable the DNS server on the HDA. If DHCP is turned off on the HDA, it will only use the DNS server for the HDA. If you want to use Google DNS, then choose custom but leave the DNS server enabled. It will not affect the rest of your network with DHCP off.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2