Has anyone purchased a Norton Core Router

berniev

Has anyone purchased a Norton Core Router

Postby berniev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 am

I have purchased a Norton Core and it looks to me that it will not be compatible with the AMAHI network.

First you have no control over it's DHCP server. You can't turn it off or limit the number of IP addresses.
You can't change the class of address it provides, mine serves class B address.

You can't change the DNS address, only three DNS providers.

The reason I chose to buy this router is that I like the idea of the router playing a larger part in security.

I have been using AMAHI server for over 10 years and now I will have to make a choice to either keep the router an not use AMAHI or send the router back.

Your Input would be appreciated

Berniev

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Has anyone purchased a Norton Core Router

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

I personally would like to have some control of my network setup with a router.

Not being able to control anything other than on or off basically is unacceptable in my book. You can have the same or better level of security with many other routers.

Regardless if you use #Amahi or not, having something that is not customizable would be a deal breaker for me.

If you are in the market for a new router, do some research and purchase one with configurable options. There are many reviews on the internet to help you purchase the right one for your needs.

My recommendation is to send it back
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bt107

Postby bt107 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 am

I would agree. Send it back. I use Untangle for Home as my router solution. It and Amahi coexist well. I like the control, flexibility, and security it provides for my network and devices.

berniev

Postby berniev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 am

I just receive a call from Norton development about my concerns.

They said that they are working on an update that will give more control of DHCP.
They have no ETA but soon as possible was the only answer.

I purchased a Linksys router a couple of years ago and I don't need to upgrade it. I think that the additional security the Norton Core is worth the effort. It just looks like Norton didn't spend enough time researching the market.

After monitoring the Installation discussion subject in this forum after release 10 I think an easy to configure router could enhance the usage of the AMAHI product. Not everyone has 40 years in the computer business like I have.

God bless you bigfoot65 for you efforts.

I'll keep you posted.