Change DNS or filter OpenDNS

Camperdownfamily

Change DNS or filter OpenDNS

Postby Camperdownfamily » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:13 am

I am connected to the internet through BT Infinity. It comes with an optional Internet Filter which I want to activate, but when I tried it, an error came up saying that it only works if you use the BT DNS server, and for safety it automatically blocks any attempt to use any other DNS server whatever URL you are trying to access.

The BT DNS servers are not renowned for speed, so I would gladly go elsewhere, but is there a facility to filter internet access on a network-wide basis through Amahi somehow? I have multiple laptops and PCs and each has multiple logins so that each member of the family can login to any of the computers, so I am not keen on a solution that requires individual set up on each machine.

I had previously relied on the Microsoft Family Safety Center but I have discovered that after a recent update it only filters Edge and Internet Explorer, but has no effect on Google Chrome or any other browsers, and of course there is no filtering of wifi access from phones, etc. I don't like Edge or IE, so I am not keen to restrict the family to only those two browsers either.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Change DNS or filter OpenDNS

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 pm

There's nothing on the HDA that will filter sites specifically. They only option I am aware is using OpenDNS with the HDA.

BTW you can set the DNS server on the HDA to use the same addresses as the BT Infinity.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2