Can't get Amahi DNS working correctly

ronkmd

Can't get Amahi DNS working correctly

Postby ronkmd » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:39 am

I need some help please. I can't seem to get the Amahi DNS working properly. I've tried disabling it on the Amahi 9 Dashboard but my /etc/resov.conf keeps getting overwitten. This requires a manual editing of that file after every restart. Just upgraded to Amahi 10, so there's no Dashboard DNS checkbox anymore. Here is my info from the Network Troubleshooter:

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/8 ... VYFzBMXf4Q

Thanks!

Ron K

PS: Tried to do this several weeks ago on IRC but got no responses. I don't have much IRC experience though.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Can't get Amahi DNS working correctly

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:02 pm

What do you want to do? Have it enabled or disabled? Change DNS provider?

In Amahi 10, the DNS cannot be disabled. There is no real reason to disable it. If you choose to use a router for DHCP vs the HDA, having the HDA DNS enabled does not affect the network.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ronkmd

Postby ronkmd » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Well, ideally I'd like to have Amahi handle DNS via OpenDNS/DNS-O-Matic. Probably would use my DD-WRT router for DHCP since I already have Static IP's and Port Forwards set up on it but if I could move the Static IP's to HDA that would be OK. I haven't been able to get both DNS and DHCP working on the HDA despite having done a fresh reinstall of F23/Amahi 9 a few months ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Probably the best way is to set the HDA to DHCP. Then turn off all clients.

Turn off DHCP on your modem/router, restart it, and then reboot the HDA.

Once it's up and running, turn on one client and see if it reflects the HDA for DHCP and DNS.

If all works, then start all other clients.

We recommend the HDA do both DHCP and DNS in order to get the most from the HDA. Otherwise many things will not work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2