SOLVED: Advanced DHCP configuration

aemonb

SOLVED: Advanced DHCP configuration

Postby aemonb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:52 am

Can someone tell me if it's possible to configure advanced DHCP settings, besides the basic settings you see in the web gui?
If i do a web search for Fedora DHCP i find articles referring to a DHCP configuration file /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf but this doesn't exist on Amahi.
I need the flexibility to configure DHCP options for some devices i have, such as Option 160 for provisioning of SIP phones.

Thanks
Aemon

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Advanced DHCP configuration

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:17 am

Can someone tell me if it's possible to configure advanced DHCP settings, besides the basic settings you see in the web gui?
Short answer is no.

Amahi uses dnsmasq and attempting to change the settings could break the DHCP capability.
I need the flexibility to configure DHCP options for some devices i have, such as Option 160 for provisioning of SIP phones.
I don't know what this means. What specifically are you wanting to change?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

aemonb

Postby aemonb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks Bigfoot your info helped me figure it out.

I was able to add the DHCP option by editing /etc/dnsmasq.conf and including the following string:

Code: Select all

dhcp-option=160,http://192.168.73.111/firmwarefiles;ipp/dhcpoption160.cfg
where

Code: Select all

http://192.168.73.111/firmwarefiles;ipp/dhcpoption160.cfg
is the phone vendor specific string i needed to include.

DHCP option 160 is widely used by IP phone vendors to to advertise the IP phone provisioning/management server. When the phone picks up an IP address it understands the string and goes off to the phone management server to download it's configuration and new firmware if needed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:27 am

I was able to add the DHCP option by editing /etc/dnsmasq.conf
That is great to hear.

I would recommend not modifying the dnsmasq.conf file directly though. Recommend you create a separate configuration file, named something like phone.conf and put it in the /etc/dnsmasq.d directory. Then restart dnsmasq and all should work.

This will prevent your settings from getting lost due to OS update. I did some additional research and determined that is how Amahi modifies the DHCP settings.

This might be something good to add to the wiki. I will have to add that to my list of things to do.

I will mark this thread as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2