SOLVED: Windows 10 DNS Settings Batch File???

Camperdownfamily

SOLVED: Windows 10 DNS Settings Batch File???

Postby Camperdownfamily » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:33 am

I am using my Amahi server as my DHCP server, but because I have a BT Home Hub router, it will only let me switch off the DHCP server, but it won't let me edit the DNS server address or switch the DNS server off. I have found a workaround for the desktops and laptops in our house my manually typing in the IP address of the Amahi server into the network settings IPv4 DNS server address box (and it makes the internet browsing speed much faster), but of course when you take one of the laptops out of the house and want to connect to a public wifi facility you have to go back in and edit the DNS settings to get it to find the DNS server address automatically.

My wife and children don't understand the issue of the DNS settings, and "just want it to work", so I thought that a neat solution would be to create a batch file which I could place on the desktop and which they could run to switch the DNS settings to point to the Amahi server when at home, and another one to run which would switch the DNS settings to automatic when they take a laptop away from home.

Sounds simple, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone help?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Windows 10 DNS Settings Batch File???

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:04 am

Recommend you check out the guidance for Airport Express in the wiki.

Rather an disabling the DHCP server, set it to only provide a single IP address to the HDA. Then let the HDA hand out leases to the rest of your network. This will eliminate the need for the DNS settings batch file.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:56 am

Maybe I am not understanding exactly how this should work, but I had problems getting this to work before, which was why I was looking for the batch file solution.

Just to check, I have done as the instructions suggested, and switched on the DHCP server on the router and limited to give out the IP address of the Amahi server only. I then set the DNS settings on one of my laptops to automatic, and then did an ipconfig /release followed by an ipconfig /renew.

The laptop received an IP address in the range being issued by the Amahi server, so I know that the Amahi server issued the IP address, but when I do an ipconfig /all, the DNS server is shown as 192.168.1.1 which is the address of my router and not 192.168.1.90 which is the address of my Amahi server.

How can I get the Amahi server to give out it's own address as the DNS server to use OpenDNS instead of the slow BT DNS servers which the router is forced to point to and which I can't change?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:08 pm

How can I get the Amahi server to give out it's own address as the DNS server to use OpenDNS instead of the slow BT DNS servers which the router is forced to point to and which I can't change?
Recommend you check out the changing your DNS provider wiki page. Switch to a different DNS server, then back to OpenDNS if that is the one you want to use.

Then when you release/renew the IP address it should pick up the HDA DNS.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Perfect, that's fixed it.

Thank you.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:22 pm

No problem.

Marking this one as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager