Unable to connect remotely after change in home network configuration

kevinfitzpatrick

Unable to connect remotely after change in home network configuration

Postby kevinfitzpatrick » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I recently added a new router to my home network because I wanted a faster router than the router supplied by Verizon Fios. I had Amahi 8 on Fedora 21 running great before I added the new router.

This is how my home network is now set up: The coax(Fios) cable goes to the Verizon Fios Actiontec Router. There is a ethernet cable from the Actiontec WAN port to the new Netgear router LAN port. The Fios router gateway is 192.168.1.1. The Netgear gateway is 10.0.0.1. The Netgear router uses 192.168.1.2 from the Fios router.

I considered converting the Actiontec router to a "bridge", but I can't do that because I need it to run things like Whole Home DVR and OnDemand from Verizon Fios.

I have the HDA computer connected to one of the LAN ports on the new Netgear router. I used this command to change the gateway: hda-change-gw 10.0.0.1

I am running Amahi 8 with OpenVPN, Plex MS, and OwnCloud. I have set up the port forwarding on both routers for OpenVPN and Plex, and I think I have set up the port forwarding correctly because I can access Plex MS from outside of my network. Everything seems to be working fine when I am at home connected to my home network.

When I am away from my network (at work), I can connect using HDAConnect, it says that it connects correctly. However, I can not access my shared folders, and I can not connect using Putty, and I can not get my Amahi dashboard. I was able to connect to all of these things fine before I added the second router/changed the home network setup.

I assume that something in my network settings or port forwarding is not done correctly, but I can't seem to figure out what.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Unable to connect remotely after change in home network configuration

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Wonder if this is a OpenVPN issue with IP address. Typically it uses a similar IP address range as your router.

Have you checked out the OpenVPN bridging in the wiki?

Is there any reason why you are using 10.0.0.1 for your Netgear router?

Not sure if that is part of the issue, just brainstorming here trying to assist.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kevinfitzpatrick

Postby kevinfitzpatrick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:23 am

Thanks for your help!

I had not seen the link you provided, I will try that tonight. Thank you.

As for the IP address 10.0.0.1, that is what the new router defaulted to once it realized that 192.168.1.* was already used. I can try changing that tonight. Do you have a suggestion as to what I should change it to?

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:29 pm

You could try using 192.168.2.* for the Netgear router.

You would then need to change the HDA to use that as well with the same method as before.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kevinfitzpatrick

Postby kevinfitzpatrick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:00 pm

thanks. I was able to change the gateway ip address of the router. I tried to follow the instructions in the VPN bridging wiki. However, my /etc/openvpn folder does not have a "openvpn-startup" file, so I'm not sure where to get from there.

Thanks for helping.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Yea I see the wiki guidance is outdated and not sure what the right procedure is for bridging.

Might need to do some research on the internet.

I will see what I can find when I have time. If you find something, please share it or update the wiki accordingly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager