Modifications made to DNS get wiped out

donovanash

Modifications made to DNS get wiped out

Postby donovanash » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:49 pm

Using the included webmin app, I have added a couple of A records as well as an MX record to my Zone in BIND.

After a little while, 10 - 30 minutes, all of my additions get removed like they never happened.

I have learned that if I want to add A records, to do it from the web interface (i.e. networking tab > aliases). What I still can't figure out is how to add an MX record and have it stay put. I run a Zimbra server at home configured for local delivery.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

cpg
Administrator

Re: Modifications made to DNS get wiped out

Postby cpg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:28 pm

nice. no, there is no support for adding mx records locally. also, webmin is a loaded weapon, because it interferes with the way amahi manages things, as you found out (it's also in the special instructions and the wiki).

can you file a feature request in the bug tracker (under platform) for exactly what you need?

it may be relatively easily doable, though we're always shorthanded :(
(PDC ocurred like that, a motivated user helped lead it along)

also, zimbra as an app would be *REALLY NICE* ... if you can help with that that would be awesome (quid pro quo :) )
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sanchehl

Postby sanchehl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 am

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? or if there is a better way to modify Bind? I was using Webmin to add a new master zone and for sure every time the server reboots, my new zone gets dropped from the config. the zone host file is there with all of my entries, so all i have to do is reload the zone, but it's annoying to remember to do that. I would really like to be able to keep manually configured zones, especially since i have several public url's that point to google apps and several that need to come back to the Amahi server.
there is another post with the same issue, so there are several users with the same issue?
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f ... bind#p3903

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 pm

hmm, yeah, it must be a pain. sorry.

first, there is no bug in the tracker for it, so please do file a bug (under platform).

but let's define what we want more precisely and how can we make it possible to support this type of functionality.

maybe we can make bind add some directives in a separate configuration via some "include" of some files.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:54 am

cpg: that would be a great idea. just enter a default @include file and let people modify that as they please.
maybe a workaround would be to run a cronjob every now and then that reloads the desired config.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD