CLOSED: my router and amahi

akreaxun

CLOSED: my router and amahi

Postby akreaxun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:39 am

Hello everybody

I got some networking questions. Right now I have a router in which DHCP/DNS is turned off. I still use its WLAN functionality and the firewall.
  1. 1. A problem which bothers me is that when I use wireless devices I have to set e.g. static DNS 8.8.8.8 (or any other public DNS) in those devices as they will not find the amahi DNS. Any ideas what the problem may be?

2. From my RJ45-wired devices I can use amahi DNS. Yet, whenever I click on an app on the amahi-home landing page I get forwarded to the "This is the Internet home of amahi.net" only when I use IP:port I can access the services. Any idea why this is not working?

3. I would like to install iptables on my amahi machine to be able to turn off the firewall on my router. Now:
    1. 3.1 Does anyone has experience with iptables on amahi - does that work?
      3.2 When I turn off the firewall on the router: will all traffic physically first go through iptables or do data-packages take "shortcuts" (wlan and modem functionality provided by the device from my provider)?
Asking these question you'll notice that I don't know much about networks.Thanks for your help!
best regards and merry x-mas
akreaxun

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: my router and amahi

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:15 am

1. A problem which bothers me is that when I use wireless devices I have to set e.g. static DNS 8.8.8.8 (or any other public DNS) in those devices as they will not find the amahi DNS. Any ideas what the problem may be?
This is likely due to a DNS problem with the HDA or your router settings. To check the HDA for networking problems, recommend you consult the Network Troubleshooting wiki page.
2. From my RJ45-wired devices I can use amahi DNS. Yet, whenever I click on an app on the amahi-home landing page I get forwarded to the "This is the Internet home of amahi.net" only when I use IP:port I can access the services. Any idea why this is not working?
Likely this is caused by the same issue as #1.
3. I would like to install iptables on my amahi machine to be able to turn off the firewall on my router. Now:
I don't have the experience to help with this one. However I would recommend you leave the router firewall in place. No reason to complicate your network and if it works, why change it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank you! And all the best for 2016! It'll take some time till I can test everything :-)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:20 am

No problem. Happy to help.

Happy 2016 to you and yours as well.

Will close this thread.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2