Large File Transfers Cause Web Browsing Problems

emooretc

Large File Transfers Cause Web Browsing Problems

Postby emooretc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:45 pm

I have been experiencing this issue for a while now, and I am running out of ideas for what to look at. Any advice the board might have would be appreciated.

I have been running Amahi 7 for a year or two now, and it works well for what I use it for. I recently started importing all of my movies onto my HDA and ultimately into a Plex library.

I am using Greyhole.

Recently as I have begun to copy over my ripped Blu-Rays I have noticed this behavior:

I attempt to copy over an MKV that is around 30gb in size from a Windows 10 PC to my HDA. The network is complete Cat5e/Cat6 through 2 gigabit switches.

The transfer will cruise along bouncing between 50 -80 MB/s which seems appropriate. It might get half or three quarters through the transfer and then will slow to a grinding halt.

While the transfer has essentially slowed to less than 10MB/s if I attempt to browse a website on any device on my network, I start receiving DNS errors in the browser and nothing loads. Chrome usually reports it as: "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG".

At this point the file transfer will often fail, with an error message in Explorer saying "unexpected error".

After a minute or two, my web browsing returns to normal and everything is fine.

I suspected that perhaps my / directory was too full and discovered that it was at over 90%. Ultimately I discovered that Plex was eating up all my root space with metadata and logs. I fixed that by symlinking Plex's metadata directory out of my root, so now I am down in the 70% utilization of /. I do not use / as my LZ, so that really shouldn't be an issue if my understanding of how greyhole/amahi works is correct.

I am considering adding additional RAM to my HDA. It is sitting at 8GB right now, which I thought would be more than enough, but perhaps that poses an issue when trying to transfer very large (30gb+) files?

Any other things that I should explore or look into?

Thanks in advance. If there is any specific information I can provide to help identify a root cause, I will collect and post back.

reezin68

Re: Large File Transfers Cause Web Browsing Problems

Postby reezin68 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 pm

I experience this at onetime,but changing my LZ fixed the problem.Does this happen when transferring smaller files ?I would recheck your settings for your LZ/s to make sure they are correct. The DNS problem only happens when your transferring files ? Have you tried using a public DNS server like google's ? Could just be your NIC going haywire on you,try a different NIC if possible on the Win 10 pc.
Server: AsRock N3700(4-core) mini-itx,8GB crucial RAM,Iocrest 8-port expansion card,450W corsair psu, x4 3TB WD green drives. All in a Sunbeam UFO case. (Amahi 8).