Updated from F19 to F21, and must have broken the DNS

br0wnserver

Updated from F19 to F21, and must have broken the DNS

Postby br0wnserver » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi,

About a month ago now I guess, I "accidentally" (I consciously did it, unaware of the consequences) I ran the update of the kernel via ssh, and "broke" the server so that it didn't even reconnect via ssh. When I was able to physically access the computer, I saw that it was booted at the gnome desktop, so I went ahead and ran the "update instructions" provided to go from Amahi 7 to Amahi 8. This appeared to work as SSH worked again, the web interface popped up, and all was well. Whether it was still attached to the same incident or not, I do not know, but apparently the DNS hasn't actually been working.

I don't really use this feature, so I actually realized it when I tried to use wget and git, and was having serious issues connecting to anything. "Ping google.com" ended up with a "unknown host" error, so I started to realize there was a problem. I can temporarily get applications internet access by changing the name servers in /etc/resolv.conf to the google DNS values (it will ping 8.8.8.8 no problem, just not google.com), but it needs to be changed every boot up obviously.

I posted on the IRC help line a couple days ago, with the results of the troubleshooter, and they mentioned that the machine was grabbing an ip of .122, but upon a closer look, the dnsmasq service was getting 192.168.122.1, which when googled is normal.

They asked if I had anything like VNC installed, and I said I had xrdp installed, and someone said that, that is fine. They mentioned the unfriendliness with desktops, and then offered to do a "commercial help", which I opted out of. Since, I have uninstalled everything pertaining to the gnome desktop, and uninstalled xrdp, and it still will not work.

Under the amahi control panel at amahi.org, it says the server is "stopped" which means that the dynamic dns probably won't update upon a new change. This is a problem, as the server resides in a vacation house, and I don't have local access. I have other ways of finding the new IP upon a change, but I would prefer to keep using the dynamic dns, and hopefully get amahi back to full working order.

What possible things are there to break amahi's dns feature? Is there a certain troubleshooting method that I can run through to try and "fix" amahi? Reinstallation is an entirely last ditch effort, and at this point, if it came to that, I would be installing a CLI Ubuntu server with all the features/programs that I DO use installed standalone.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Updated from F19 to F21, and must have broken the DNS

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Have you checked out the Amahi 8 Troubleshooting page in the wiki?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

br0wnserver

Postby br0wnserver » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes, and nothing seems to really fix the issue.

As a matter of fact, when I go to the "Virtualization Stack Breaks DNS/DHCP Server" part, it says that the dnsmaq.service should return "failed" upon checking it's status, but it says it is running. Doesn't work, but it says it is running. Then it says the solution to the issue is to disable libvirtd, which I did, rebooted, and still the same issue.

One thing that I think may be a main cause, when I run "yum list installed", one of the items in the list is "hda-suite.noarch", and in the column that typically says "installed" it has @amahi/19. Does this mean the "hda-suite" installed is designed for fedora core 19? Is there a way for me to manually update what needs to be updated?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:37 am

one of the items in the list is "hda-suite.noarch", and in the column that typically says "installed" it has @amahi/19.
That is what installs the Amahi repo. It does not need updated as the repo automatically adjusts to the OS version.

Your issue is likely due to the upgrade. Might want to take a look at log files located in /var/logs.

Hate to say it, but the final solution may be a clean install of Fedora 21 and Amahi 8. There has been limited testing for the upgrade to Amahi 8, most successful but there has been a few failures. As I recall, those users had to do a clean install when the upgrade broke their system.

Hopefully we will get lucky and figure out the issue before you have to go that route.

Also, please provide the URL generated from the following command:

Code: Select all

fpaste --sysinfo
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

br0wnserver

Postby br0wnserver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:33 am

one of the items in the list is "hda-suite.noarch", and in the column that typically says "installed" it has @amahi/19.
That is what installs the Amahi repo. It does not need updated as the repo automatically adjusts to the OS version.

Your issue is likely due to the upgrade. Might want to take a look at log files located in /var/logs.

Hate to say it, but the final solution may be a clean install of Fedora 21 and Amahi 8. There has been limited testing for the upgrade to Amahi 8, most successful but there has been a few failures. As I recall, those users had to do a clean install when the upgrade broke their system.

Hopefully we will get lucky and figure out the issue before you have to go that route.

Also, please provide the URL generated from the following command:

Code: Select all

fpaste --sysinfo
I appreciate the help.

I checked the hda-updates.log and there was a mix of a ton of "already up to date" and f21.amahi.org can not be resolved.

The system info is here:
http://paste.fedoraproject.org/282924/14456071

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:02 pm

I am not seeing anything that stands out as odd.

have you tried switching DNS from OpenDNS to Google, then back in the HDA dashboard?

Guidance can be found in the changing your DNS provider wiki page.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

br0wnserver

Postby br0wnserver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes, I have tried each and every possible combination of DNS settings in the dashboard. I have even tried to select "custom" and input the DNS servers by hand, and then click apply, and nothing changes. When the gnome desktop was installed, the network configuration application even saw the correct DNS servers in the menu, but the DNS would not work.

The only way I am able to get the computer DNS access is by manually editing /etc/resolv.conf to change the nameservers from the local ip address of the machine, to OpenDNS or Google DNS. After saving the file, ping works immediately. Obviously this setting is erased upon reboot, but it is a temporary solution that allows for yum and other essentials to work correctly.

Is there a list of packages installed by amahi that can be removed, and then I can reinstall amahi remotely? Reinstalling Fedora 21 is pretty much out of the question. Like I mentioned above, if it goes that route, I'll just be installing an entirely standalone system with the features that I use regularly.

Edit: I should mention, because I just remembered... When I was last with the server, I was able to get the server DNS working by checking both the DHCP server and DNS server, and then stopping the router from being the DHCP. None of the devices on the network were able to see the server as the DHCP however, even upon restart, so the settings needed to be reverted back to the server not being the DNS or DHCP (as I would like it to be anyways.) Unfortunately, I don't think amahi is recognizing this "non-DNS" setting, as every time the system is rebooted, it reverts /etc/resolv.conf to the 192.168.1.159 as the DNS.
Last edited by br0wnserver on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm

When the gnome desktop was installed, the network configuration application even saw the correct DNS servers in the menu, but the DNS would not work.
There's your issue. Th Gnome desktop does not play well with Amahi. That's why we have recommended not using it in Amahi 8.
Is there a list of packages installed by amahi that can be removed, and then I can reinstall amahi remotely? Reinstalling Fedora 21 is pretty much out of the question.
Unfortunately no, there is no uninstall of Amahi or the Gnome desktop that will allow for a clean and stable system. I am sorry to say a fresh install is the only option.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

br0wnserver

Postby br0wnserver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:26 pm

When the gnome desktop was installed, the network configuration application even saw the correct DNS servers in the menu, but the DNS would not work.
There's your issue. Th Gnome desktop does not play well with Amahi. That's why we have recommended not using it in Amahi 8.
Is there a list of packages installed by amahi that can be removed, and then I can reinstall amahi remotely? Reinstalling Fedora 21 is pretty much out of the question.
Unfortunately no, there is no uninstall of Amahi or the Gnome desktop that will allow for a clean and stable system. I am sorry to say a fresh install is the only option.
So there isn't even a possible way for me to "patch" it to get the dynamic DNS service working? Like I said, that is pretty much the only feature of amahi that I use at this point.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Not that I am aware. You can try a reinstall of Amahi 8, but I don't see that doing much since all the packages are installed and settings configured. Really installing from scratch is the only viable way to get a stable and functioning system. That is the recommended method from the Amahi team due to all the variables with upgrade that could cause issues as you have discovered.

Is it possible? Probably if you want to spend the time looking for the cause and a solution. I am sorry, but this is not something we can support or be of much help with at this point.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager