Off-and-On DNS issues with my HDA

collins

Off-and-On DNS issues with my HDA

Postby collins » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:07 pm

I've been using my HDA for almost a year and love it. Have had no problems. The HDA manages DHCP/DNS and my router's DHCP/DNS is disabled.

Today though, it seems that the HDA is having problems resolving DNS to any computers on the network. Everything will be working great, then randomly, opening any new web pages will be impossible. Pinging is also impossible with an error message about resolving the domain name. After a while, everything returns back to normal.

I know it's not a complete internet outage because I have been in the middle of Skype calls when the issue occurs and there is not even a slight hiccup in the call.

Also, as soon as I switch the DHCP on my router back on, things start working again. After this, I can switch back to the HDA's DHCP and it works for a while (20-30 minutes maybe?) before the issue strikes again.

Could this simply be a case of my HDA hardware being super-slow and not being able to keep up with managing the DHCP/DNS on my network? What sort of trouble-shooting would you guys recommend?

collins

Re: Off-and-On DNS issues with my HDA

Postby collins » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Well, you can disregard, it just happened again while I was using my Router for DHCP. The issue must be somewhere else.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Yea could be a disturbance in the force :D
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

barron

Postby barron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:31 am

Collins have you continued to experience this?

I have had the same issue for about a week now. It began overnight on a day in which I made no changes to my HDA. I find that this is strictly a DNS issue as it cannot resolve names. I am still able to ping computers on my network and everything else (file transfers) works fine I am just not able to get online.

I tried changing the DNS server in Amahi from OpenDNS to GoogleDNS and it worked for a day.

I also find that I dont seem to have this issue when my home office computer is on Sleep mode or Shutdown. (not sure why)

It will come and go when it comes to internet accessibility.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I have a 100mbps Download connection and cannot use it right due to this issue.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:35 am

Recommend you check your client machines to see where they get the DHCP lease and DNS. Also check your router to see if it's dishing out DNS.

You must have only the HDA providing DNS or you will experience this issue. The primary and secondary DNS has to match the HDA IP address. If not, these issues are the result.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

barron

Postby barron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks Bigfoot.

Not sure now, but I thought I had disabled the router's DNS function. Though since you mentioned it, I checked it and it is set to 208.18.47.61. I can no longer find the option to disable DNS on the router. It is TWC Ubee router. I will have to call them. I would rather not have to manually enter the DNS server address in all my clients. My home has about 15 items that connect on a regular basis plus I would rather it be automatic when I add new devices.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:19 am

Ok. That may be the issue. You should not have to manually add DNS to the clients. Just need to ensure the HDA is the only one providing it.

Did you check the clients to see if they are receiving DHCP and DNS from the HDA? That is typically where I start.

EDIT: This might help.
Ubee_DVW3201B v9.8.3012 D1 Subscriber Guide
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

barron

Postby barron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 am

The HDA is providing IP addresses. That I have verified. The default gateway is still the Ubee router but as you mentioned it may still be using their DNS and thus causing this issue. I will keep looking into it.

Thanks for your help.

If I am unable to Disable DNS on the router, I guess the alternative is to manually set DNS to my HDA on client machines. :-/

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:58 am

Possibly. The gateway should be your router, so that is correct.

Did you verify the DNS for the clients?

Can you change the DNS provider on your router? That would be an option.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

barron

Postby barron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 am

I called TWC and asked them to disable the DNS server function on the router. It appears the option used to be there but they removed it from the interface. I am still seeing their DNS addresses on the router. I may call and ask them to change it to 8.8.8.8. Or should I ask them to set it to my HDA address?